Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many hours a day should you interact with your child? *ADDED INFO*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Say child is one year old. Always walks away when I try playing with her. How many hours a day or how long should I be physically interacting with her? I'm talking about reading, playing blocks, singing, ect. She is always by my side. She is mostly breastfed with one meal each day. She gets bath time with me every other day unless really dirty. If it is nice outside I will take her outside. I baby wear and she is really attached but I feel like I don't play and teach her enough :(

I just feel like I'm negecting her. I'm a stay at home mom but I work and go to school from online. I always feel like I'm on the computer and ignoring her. Everytime I try planning with her she either walks away or just stares at me. But when my mother is over and she makes a noise she is all over her, screaming and climbing on her

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heisenberg
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I don't think there is a set time. We've always given the kids their independence but we have family time that is scheduled. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM

i didnt know we had to have set time my 18 month old is playin with her sister so she really doesnt want to play with me

MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM
That's what we do too.

Quoting Heisenberg:

I don't think there is a set time. We've always given the kids their independence but we have family time that is scheduled. 

PeggyS87
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM
My son was like that so i would just sit there and let him play. He is almost 8 now and still likes to do things on his own. I would keep trying but if they want to be independent don't discourage it.
PeppermintyTea
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM
I'd try to do some activities together, but if she enjoys her independence let her safely explore. I don't think there is a real guideline there it just depends on the child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Just sit on the floor. Even if he/she walks away you're on their level, and they can come up to you at anytime. They love that :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM

No set time.  If she is independent it will be less than a child that is more needy.  My son was very independent and at 1 would give me a dirty look if I tried to play with him while he was busy.lol  Every kid is different.  I would read to him and introduce new things daily and worked that into our day.  He loved to play in his room and would let me know when he wanted time to play on his own. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM
I was a sahm when they were that age. A typical day: change diaper and talk/sing/coo together several times a day (10mins), breakfast together (30 mins), play in water table together (15 mins.), read together maybe 4 times a day (20 mins), play toys together
(1 1/2hr), lunch together (30 mins), walk outside (interacting maybe 10mins), dinner (30 mins), night ritual (1 hr).......... So maybe a total of 5-6 hrs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I would assume, most of the day, aside from nap time and bedtime. This doesn't have to include on the floor play time all day long, but I can't remember not interacting with my kids every waking moment. At one, independent play time was maybe 10 minutes here and there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM

That's a very good point. Even if they enjoying playing on their own mostly, being accessible to them is very important. Even when I worked with 2 year olds, I was rarely standing or sitting in a chair, I spent most of the day on the floor, even if they were occupying themselves or playing with the other kids.

Quoting Anonymous: Just sit on the floor. Even if he/she walks away you're on their level, and they can come up to you at anytime. They love that :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)