Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need opinions and advice

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM
  • 16 Replies

My mother was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago. She is getting so much worse. She walks with a cane and also uses a wheelchair. She fells a lot which scares the hell out of me. She no longer goes anywhere alone, my brother or I go with her. My brother lives with her and I cook, clean and do whatever I can. She calls me today and tells me she fell at the store and she is crying saying she doesn't want to live like this.

My question is what else can I do for her? There has to be something that would make this burden she carries easier.

Thank you all for your help......

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Has she tried Tysabri?
PeppermintyTea
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM
I'm not sure. I'm sorry, hugs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Maybe it's time for her to have a wheelchair or maybe home care?  

kmt_771
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM

She has not tried that one and she goes to her doctor in a week we will have to ask him what he thinks. Thank you for your help. big smile mini

Quoting Anonymous: Has she tried Tysabri?

kmt_771
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Thank you

Quoting PeppermintyTea: I'm not sure. I'm sorry, hugs.

kmt_771
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM

She has a wheelchair that she uses but she is afraid if she doesn't try and move she will lose the ability too. We are trying to talk to her about home health maybe she will listen to us. : )

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe it's time for her to have a wheelchair or maybe home care or even looking into a home?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM
It is truly worth a try at this point in her progression. There is a very small chance of PML, but it's worth that small risk to be able to function better. I witness everyday what this therapy has done for people. I have spoken with many patients who went from a wheelchair to walking unassisted. It's the most aggressive MS therapy on the market. It isn't a guarantee for everybody, again, it's so worth giving it a try. Good luck to your mom!! The MS community is near and dear to my heart.
Quoting kmt_771:

She has not tried that one and she goes to her doctor in a week we will have to ask him what he thinks. Thank you for your help. big smile mini

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmt_771
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Thank you. There is never a guarantee in anything so just the thought that something might ease things for her makes me cry.

Quoting Anonymous: It is truly worth a try at this point in her progression. There is a very small chance of PML, but it's worth that small risk to be able to function better. I witness everyday what this therapy has done for people. I have spoken with many patients who went from a wheelchair to walking unassisted. It's the most aggressive MS therapy on the market. It isn't a guarantee for everybody, again, it's so worth giving it a try. Good luck to your mom!! The MS community is near and dear to my heart.
Quoting kmt_771:

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm sorry :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM
You're welcome! I work with MS patients for a living so this is a topic very close to me. There are great resources out there for caregivers as well. Sometimes you guys need just as much support. Call the National MS Society for resources if you haven't already. It sounds crazy, but MS for Dummies is a great book to have on hand. I really wish you all the best of luck.

Quoting kmt_771:

Thank you. There is never a guarantee in anything so just the thought that something might ease things for her makes me cry.

Quoting Anonymous: It is truly worth a try at this point in her progression. There is a very small chance of PML, but it's worth that small risk to be able to function better. I witness everyday what this therapy has done for people. I have spoken with many patients who went from a wheelchair to walking unassisted. It's the most aggressive MS therapy on the market. It isn't a guarantee for everybody, again, it's so worth giving it a try. Good luck to your mom!! The MS community is near and dear to my heart.
Quoting kmt_771:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)