Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

there are reasons- vent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My parents have a friend that's an older lady who always has something to say about babies. She watches her grandchildren and will always complain to my parents that moms now are too worried about nothing. She talks about how she used to not use carseats and no foods were ever off limits. She also thinks SIDS is not a real danger. She does do what her daughters request so she can keep watching her grandchildren but is always complaining about safety. She talks to me about my children and how these things really aren't necessary. Usually I ignore her but it's just too much.

Nothing important just venting.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Just shake your head and nod.

krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM
As long as shes actually doing things the way their requesting her do them.
shiny76
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this

in her defense ...her kids lived didn't they?

Quoting Anonymous: My parents have a friend that's an older lady who always has something to say about babies. She watches her grandchildren and will always complain to my parents that moms now are too worried about nothing. She talks about how she used to not use carseats and no foods were ever off limits. She also thinks SIDS is not a real danger. She does do what her daughters request so she can keep watching her grandchildren but is always complaining about safety. She talks to me about my children and how these things really aren't necessary. Usually I ignore her but it's just too much. Nothing important just venting.

Loveavision
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Oh, gosh...they're going to eat you alive for that comment! because "that's no excuse". IMO she kept them alive, so there's a positive.

(:

Quoting shiny76:

Quoting Anonymous: My parents have a friend that's an older lady who always has something to say about babies. She watches her grandchildren and will always complain to my parents that moms now are too worried about nothing. She talks about how she used to not use carseats and no foods were ever off limits. She also thinks SIDS is not a real danger. She does do what her daughters request so she can keep watching her grandchildren but is always complaining about safety. She talks to me about my children and how these things really aren't necessary. Usually I ignore her but it's just too much.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with y'all. Keeping them alive is a positive. Lol. Every time I come on this site I'm amazed mine made it to adulthood & I'm only 44. So much has changed even in the last 20 years.

Quoting Loveavision: Oh, gosh...they're going to eat you alive for that comment! because "that's no excuse". IMO she kept them alive, so there's a positive.

(:

Quoting shiny76:

Quoting Anonymous: My parents have a friend that's an older lady who always has something to say about babies. She watches her grandchildren and will always complain to my parents that moms now are too worried about nothing. She talks about how she used to not use carseats and no foods were ever off limits. She also thinks SIDS is not a real danger. She does do what her daughters request so she can keep watching her grandchildren but is always complaining about safety. She talks to me about my children and how these things really aren't necessary. Usually I ignore her but it's just too much.

shiny76
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

meh i ain't scared...i'll raise my kids however i see fit...let him climb tree's and not wear a bike helmet and omg he'll get spankins too...anyone doesn't like it...they can feel free to call someone who cares.

Quoting Loveavision: Oh, gosh...they're going to eat you alive for that comment! because "that's no excuse". IMO she kept them alive, so there's a positive. (:
Quoting shiny76:

Quoting Anonymous: My parents have a friend that's an older lady who always has something to say about babies. She watches her grandchildren and will always complain to my parents that moms now are too worried about nothing. She talks about how she used to not use carseats and no foods were ever off limits. She also thinks SIDS is not a real danger. She does do what her daughters request so she can keep watching her grandchildren but is always complaining about safety. She talks to me about my children and how these things really aren't necessary. Usually I ignore her but it's just too much. Nothing important just venting.

lUcKyLoVe22
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM
I'm only 23 and can see her point.
Megs5384
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I'm not quite 30 yet (actually, I will be in a month, but I'm clinging to my 20's as long as I can!) and even I feel like we live in an overparinoid society, so on some points, I would probably agree with her. BUT not when it comes to carseats, SIDS and other serious safety things. I take those things very serioulsy.

poeticrose09
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM
My in laws feel the same way and think im to over protectivr and wont listen to anything i say. Even with two different doctor's saying things about his food allergies they still try and give him things he is not supposed to have saying that he was begging or that he is starving. Ds is 12 months btw. He has two epi pens for a reason. Ugh.
JoanahLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Shes right, to a point.  Parents get sooooo worked up over nothing these days.  Try to explain "Baby Einstein" to someone in her 80's.  Seriously, try! 

There are some things that have changed because we know more about science and our world has changed... carseats, for example, are needed now because cars go a lot (A LOT) faster and children spend way more of their time in cars, so the chances of an accident are higher. 

When my father was a child it was not uncommon for him to take two car rides a week before he started school... to church, and home from church. Everyone drove tanks and and hit a top speed of 55 mph. Now we drive plastic cars at 80mph and our kids travel in the car 25 times a week or more easily! 

Just be polite, smile and nod and listen...some of the stuff shes saying might just make your life a little easier. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)