Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this make any sense to you at all?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

This is regarding the seatbelt laws...

So now (as everyone knows), it is the law to put your child in a booster seat until they are 8 years old or 80 lbs (might have changed, but that's the last I knew it to be). Okay fine, it's safer, better to be safe than sorry, right?

Well, in most areas (can't say for sure for all areas), children as young as 5 years old are getting on school buses that have ZERO seatbelts, let alone booster seats. And it's not against the law for buses to not be equipped with this stuff...

Why is that? Why is the law telling us to buckle up and put our kids in booster seats, but then saying it's okay not to have a seatbealt on the bus?

Even on field trips, going 45 mins to an hour away, on the interstate, kids are still not belted in. 

The only conclusion I can come up with, is the government/law doesn't REALLY care about the safety of our children, it's all a money makeing scheme. They can pull you over for not being properly restrained, and ticket you... therefore making money off of you. It would be senseless to pull over a bus full of kids and ticket the schools.. I mean considering the schools are government paid for (for the most part,and excluding private schools). They would pretty much be ticketing themselves. 

AND THEN there's the topic of the PARENTS who put their children on buses. Most of these parents make their children buckle up and sit in booster seats, but yet have no problem putting their kid on a bus with no safety restraint at all... and worse, with a STRANGER to drive their child. Yea... doesn't make much sense to me! 

So what are you thoughts on this? Can you argue that school buses are just magically safer to ride in than a regular passenger vehicle? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

bump

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I totally understand what you are saying...doesn't make much sense to me, either.

Heisenberg
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

It's safer to not have a seat belt on a buss. They took them out decades ago.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

The school buses around here have seat belts but my kids do not ride the school bus. Now the MTA (public buses) do NOT have seat belts and I personally think that is crazy..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Its been proven far more dangetous to have 30plus kuds locked into their seats unable to get out of a bus thats been in an accident.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
80 kids in a burning bus/overturned bus/bus in the water strapped in carseats is a mass tragedy waiting to happen
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Why is that though? What proved that?

Quoting Heisenberg:

It's safer to not have a seat belt on a buss. They took them out decades ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Do your research lol
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM
This has been a concern for years.

If I remember correctly, it's safer for buses to not haveseatbelts because, statistically, a bus is more likely to need to be evacevacuated quickly, rather thanhave a crash. They need to be able to get the kids out as fast as possible.

I have no idea why my spacebar didn't work those 2 times.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

And that could happen a to a minivan full of 7 kids strapped in... Sure the number is significantly lower, but it would be very difficult to rescue them as well.

Also, the likelihood of that happening is very slim, compared to head on collisions and other types of wrecks.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: 80 kids in a burning bus/overturned bus/bus in the water strapped in carseats is a mass tragedy waiting to happen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)