Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Burt and Linda Pugach, Crazy Love indeed....

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

I just finished watching a documentary on Netflix...Crazy Love.

Amazing... I mean CM Mom Confessions crazy has nothing on this couple.

They met when she was 21, a fatherless (and I think that's significant) girl from the Bronx. He was a decade older than her, a lawyer with plenty of money from chasing ambulances, giving kickbacks to doctors and other somewhat shady deals. 

He used to wine and dine her, taking her out in his brand new powder blue Cadillac convertible. It was always "brand new" because he bought a new one each year. When they went to nightclubs, he would pay the band to play "Linda" as she walked through the door.

But then she found out he was married. He claimed he was getting a divorce so she told him that once it was final, he could call her. When he claimed that the divorce was going through, she wanted to see the papers. Being a lawyer, he faked some up, but she checked out the court case number and caught him in the lie. 

So, she dumped him, and went to Florida to take a break. There she met Larry Schwartz. Larry was due to go into the Army, but when he got out, he looked her up and soon they were engaged. Throughout the entire time, Burt Pugach was obsessed with her, stalking her, writing to her, calling her, begging her to take him back. She went to the police about it a number of times, but as is so often the case in stalking, there really wasn't much they could do.

Then, when Pugach learned of her engagement to Schwartz, he hired thugs to throw acid in her face. She was horribly disfigured and spent months in the hospital. Her eyesight was ruined and eventually she became completely blind. She wore dark glasses and wigs for the rest of her life.

Although at first, Schwartz was determined to stick by her, but she insisted on breaking things off. 

Meanwhile, the law caught up with Burt and he spent the next 14 years in prison.

And then, the story takes a completely unexpected twist.

After getting out of prison, Burt Pugach continued his obsession with Linda, going on several television shows to declare his love for her and ask her to marry him.

And, in 1974, 15 years after the attack and one year after his release from prison, she did exactly that.

When Linda Pugach died last year from heart disease, she and Burt had been married for over 38 years. When he went on trial in 1997 for sexually abusing and threatening yet another mistress, she was his staunchest supporter.

It's an amazing story. I wouldn't call it a love story per se... I think more of an obsessive co-dependency...but fascinating all the same.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM

That is messed up. I kind of want to watch it now. lol

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Oh do... it's better than most fictional movies... there are a lot of details that I didn't share. Sort of a case of "you can't make this stuff up".

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I may just watch it tonight.

Quoting handy0318:

Oh do... it's better than most fictional movies... there are a lot of details that I didn't share. Sort of a case of "you can't make this stuff up".

Quoting Anonymous:

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)