• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 years later I'm STILL his little sister.. Vent

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
My brother is 2 years older than me.

He has special needs. FAS, ADD and other issues left undiagnosed and untreated by my parents. I don't condone this at all. In fact my brother would be much better off had my parents gotten him help, but that would have required acknowledging he wasn't their bio son. Also they didnt want to drug him.

Needless to say, he had a lot of issues. He never did well in school was always made fun of for being slow. He would lose things all the time. He was a mess. At Some point he thought it was a good idea to get people to feel sorry for him so he would make up wild and crazy stories. He once told everyone my mom was dying and that my dad left. Which was pure bullshit.he spent all of his lunch money at the school store and told the lunch lady that we were broke and living in our van. Of course this was again bullshit and after that my mom just put money on his account. But that didn't stop the rumors from spreading.

Needless to say it didn't make my life easy. I had friends that weren't allowed over at my house because he had said very inappropriate things to them. Teachers would come to me to give my parents notes since he would always loose them. I was my brothers keeper and I hated it.

I know this is terrible, but it was embarrassing. And at one point I begged my parents to let me switch schools because I hated being known as his little sister. But they wouldn't because we went to the best school in the county.

Well now my oldest will start kindergarten at the same school. It's a new building but a lot of the teachers are the same. DS had gifted placement testing today and we went on a tour of the school. Everyone that recognized me all said the same thing "oh your A### little sister, how's he doing?"

I cringed.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Well, either get over it or switch schools 

DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

It's a shame that your brother didn't get what he needed. But it's never too late. And rather then being ashamed of him you need to tell yourself he can't help how he is. I'd be ashamed of your parents. Remember you could have been stuck with this instead of him or anyone else.

You need to get over this anger. If you can't do it on your own get counseling. After all, you're his sister.

Some gave all and all gave some. Remember your rights as an American were earned with the blood of others. Don't waste them and please do your duty as a citizen and vote intelligently in every election.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like normal small town life.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM
I understand it now, but as a kid? I was deathly ashamed. Imagine being 7 and someone coming up to you on the playground saying "I heard your brother say you live in your van!"

My parents thought they were doing what was best for him at the time. They have since gotten him help. And he's some what better now.

Quoting DisabledVet:

It's a shame that your brother didn't get what he needed. But it's never too late. And rather then being ashamed of him you need to tell yourself he can't help how he is. I'd be ashamed of your parents. Remember you could have been stuck with this instead of him or anyone else.

You need to get over this anger. If you can't do it on your own get counseling. After all, you're his sister.

Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM
There's a lot of great things about living in a small town, this is not one of them

Quoting Danesmommy1: Sounds like normal small town life.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM
In kinda hoping some of teachers retire. Some of the teachers have been there for close to 40 years!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM
In kinda hoping some of teachers retire. Some of the teachers have been there for close to 40 years!!

Quoting Anonymous:

AZHOTMOM
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Ugh, small towns. Sorry mama. I understand. My mother was completely off her rocker when she was alive. I can still go back to my home town, and I get the "look" and the whole, ah, you are (mom's name) daughter. Then they ask how she is, when in reality, they just wanna know if she is still crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM
This,and it's lose,not loose.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Sounds like normal small town life.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM
What do you say to those people?

(Obviously she is dead now, but before she died)

I always just smile and say GREAT! Which either shuts them up or makes them dig more..

Quoting AZHOTMOM:

Ugh, small towns. Sorry mama. I understand. My mother was completely off her rocker when she was alive. I can still go back to my home town, and I get the "look" and the whole, ah, you are (mom's name) daughter. Then they ask how she is, when in reality, they just wanna know if she is still crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)