Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently doctors don't know squat about pronouncing people dead.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
There's one of these stories every few months now-

advertisement

The family of a woman who may have frozen to death after being pronounced dead and placed in a morgue is moving forward with a lawsuit against the hospital, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Maria de Jesus Arroyo, 80, was pronounced dead in July 2010 after suffering a heart attack. A few days later, she was found halfway outside her body bag, face down with a broken nose and cuts and bruises to her face, according to court papers obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

Download the FREE NBCLA News app
Arroyo’s family initially filed a lawsuit against White Memorial Medical Center in Boyle Heights alleging that Maria Arroyo’s body was mishandled. But when a pathologist was called to the stand during litigation, they testified that Maria Arroyo’s injuries likely occurred after she woke up in the morgue and struggled to escape.

The first lawsuit has since been dropped and the family is now suing the hospital for allegedly prematurely declaring Maria Arroyo dead, according to The Times report.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmommy1991
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM
This is crazy I'm a nurse and I don't understand how a doctor could mispronounce someone dead...I've worked many codes and have seen many people pass and let me tell you every possible way to check for any sign if life was checked before the person was pronounced dead
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Exactly. I am not a nurse but an emt, have also worked my share of codes, called the coroner to have someone pronounced dead. There is never any doubt- there is no signs of life.

Maybe it's just here, but signs of life are checked and double checked by at least one more person.

Quoting lilmommy1991: This is crazy I'm a nurse and I don't understand how a doctor could mispronounce someone dead...I've worked many codes and have seen many people pass and let me tell you every possible way to check for any sign if life was checked before the person was pronounced dead
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM

BUMP!

bjw_053109
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM
That's crazy
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Oh god I'd freak out. (I work at a funeral home)
lilmommy1991
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM
I know we have every nurse working the code check for pulse at every single pulse point on the body and listening for even the fainted of heart beats so its crazy how it could be missed that someone was alive

Quoting darcibeisheim: Exactly. I am not a nurse but an emt, have also worked my share of codes, called the coroner to have someone pronounced dead. There is never any doubt- there is no signs of life.

Maybe it's just here, but signs of life are checked and double checked by at least one more person.

Quoting lilmommy1991: This is crazy I'm a nurse and I don't understand how a doctor could mispronounce someone dead...I've worked many codes and have seen many people pass and let me tell you every possible way to check for any sign if life was checked before the person was pronounced dead
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM
I don't see it either. I've worked more codes than I can count.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM
The dr usually asks the room, too. At least here, they'll be like can anyone think of anything else to do?

Quoting darcibeisheim: Exactly. I am not a nurse but an emt, have also worked my share of codes, called the coroner to have someone pronounced dead. There is never any doubt- there is no signs of life.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmommy1991
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Exactly this is where you just shake your head and ask wth happened and how was it missed that she was alive

Quoting kitty8199: I don't see it either. I've worked more codes than I can count.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM
We'd use a Doppler to check, too.

Quoting lilmommy1991: I know we have every nurse working the code check for pulse at every single pulse point on the body and listening for even the fainted of heart beats so its crazy how it could be missed that someone was alive

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN