Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with ds' reading.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
8 years old... second grade... issues with reading before...

He was reading Horton the elephant and at the end, it should say this-

"And it should be, it should be, it should be like that. Because Horton was faithful! He sat and he sat! He meant what he said and he said what he meant...."

Except ds read it as-

And it should be, it should be, it SOLD be like that. Because Horton was faithful! He SIT and he sat! He MIGHT WANT he SAYS and he said what he meant...

What the crap? (The capital words are what he says wrong, according to the book)... how is he getting completely different words here? Sigh.

Trying so hard to be patient with his reading.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Abc mouse . Com. I swear by it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Is he maybe rushing and guessing and not actually reading some of the words?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Maybe. I make him re-read the words that he reads wrong so it takes up more time... but it's like how does that make any sense in your mind?

Quoting Anonymous: Is he maybe rushing and guessing and not actually read some of the words?
Caidysmom
by MindyM on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:47 PM
It sounds as though he is rushing through.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Sounds like he's rushing.

Try readingeggs.com they have reading help for older kids.
rmfanfgljf
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM

When he reads do you ask him questions? Ask him to describe in his own words what he thinks the story meant? If he can't answer you chances are he isn't really paying attention or his comprehensive skills are off.......my oldest dd is 8 (almost 9) and struggles with reading, writing, spelling, and math, she has a language disability and is dyslexic.

Quoting Anonymous: Maybe. I make him re-read the words that he reads wrong so it takes up more time... but it's like how does that make any sense in your mind?
Quoting Anonymous: Is he maybe rushing and guessing and not actually read some of the words?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)