Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Normal 3/4 year old behavior?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
I babysit my cousin's son who is 3 months shy of 4. I notice what I believe to be strange behavior but I'm not around kids a lot. These are the things he does:

He will urinate on the toilet but will not stool. He needs a diaper for it.

He talks like he has marbles in his mouth and makes nonsense sentences, for example "he thinks I'm funny, me." When you ask him a question, he can't answer it unless it's very direct (ask him a color, he's got it, ask him what he wants to do today and he tells you his house is yellow and he has a dog).

He screams every day for drop off as if he's been hurt. He won't let anyone touch him to calm him for at least 30 minutes. If you try he screams louder and twists and wiggles and runs for the door. My front door has a special door handle guard just for him.

I have a 2-year-old and a newborn. My 2-yr-old doesn't bother the newborn and is gentle when touching. This boy tries to hand him toys that he is too young for, and he pays no attention to if the baby is close (say I'm changing baby on the couch, he will just plop right by her head).

He is obsessed with keys and if he sees them, even if they belong to someone walking in the front door, he tries to obtain them and will grab them.

I want to talk to my cousin but also I don't if these are typical behaviors.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Seems odd to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Do you have kids this age or are around a lot this age? I know some kids are just quirky, but this seems just really extreme to me :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

Seems odd to me.

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Ds3.5 has got weeing on the toilet down to a fine art, but he'll only poo in a diaper. And still occasionally talks broken biscuits.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Broken biscuits lol.

Quoting EntrepeneurMom: Ds3.5 has got weeing on the toilet down to a fine art, but he'll only poo in a diaper. And still occasionally talks broken biscuits.
anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM

No, I don't think they are typical behaviors.  Some kids are hard to train to poop though, so not that one so much.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM

No, not normal behavior.  At that age, he should be able to answer questions like what he wants to do today.  It is common for some kids to pee in the toilet but resist pooping in the toilet.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM
The questions are honestly what gets me the most. I feel like he stares through me and doesn't quite get what I'm saying :(.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

No, not normal behavior.  At that age, he should be able to answer questions like what he wants to do today.  It is common for some kids to pee in the toilet but resist pooping in the toilet.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Thanks, I just don't know the time frame for pooping self-sufficiency I guess. I'm not there yet with my kids!

Quoting anon71:

No, I don't think they are typical behaviors.  Some kids are hard to train to poop though, so not that one so much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM
My daughter is almost three and doesn't behave that way.

Quoting Anonymous: Do you have kids this age or are around a lot this age? I know some kids are just quirky, but this seems just really extreme to me :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

Seems odd to me.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM

My daughter will be four in June. She doesn't use a diaper at all but she does still have accidents. She will mix words up sometimes, mainly using adjectives at the wrong spot (instead of saying blue car, she will say car blue). The other stuff, mainly the drop off tantrum and not knowing to be gentle around the baby, those are things we have not dealt with for a while now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)