Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My landlord is pissed becuase of the "damage" to the house and becuase we're breaking our lease.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies
We live in a "house". The house was sectioned off in to two apartments.

The downstairs is where we live. 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, basement.

Upstairs is two bedrooms,
One bath.

The door that use to lead upstairs to the apartment above us was nailed shut and painted over so that it can't be used to acess the separate apartments.

Now, we moved in 5 months ago. the landlord doesn't want to fix a damn thing. The floor in front of the bathroom sink is extremely weak, we can't even use the sink there becuase we can't stand there.

The fridge quite working, he wouldn't replace it, so we ended up having to buy one. Same with the stove.

The back room (storage area) had a leak. A month after we moved in it had cracked, I kept telling him about, and it kept getting worse. Then it fell through and left a giant gaping hole. His solution? Nail a big piece of wood over it. Didnt even bother to look at the roof. (This room was added on after the house was seperated.).

Now, the apartment above us has been empty up until two months ago when a couple moved.

They're toliet has overflowed multiple times into our kitchen and the ceiling is kind of messed up there.

And Last month our electric bill was extremely high and we couldn't figure out why.

The landlord came to day. And we were informed that we have to split the bill with the people above us because we share the electricity and water. so really, it isn't two separate apartments, it's just a house that's been sectioned off.

He said that we'll need to figure out who uses what amount so we know who has to pay what.

The couple upstairs already said that they won't be paying anything since its not in either if there names

And I'm not paying their electric and water bill. That's insane.

So I told the landlord that we aren't doing this and will be moving.

And now he insists that we'll have to pay for the ceiling damage, the damage in front of the sink and leave the fridge and stove behind.

He says we had to have causes the damage to the ceiling and floor. (How the hell could we even do that?).

And that we can't take the fridge and stove that WE purchased becuase there has to be a fridge and a stove when we leave since there was both when we moved in.

I told him I'd like some evidence to prove extract how we could've caused the damage to the ceiling/roof and floor. And that he would have a fridge and stove becuae his are in the shed and we'll happily move them back in to place before we leave.

We found a house down the street, and can move in in two weeks.

Now, I realise we'll orobbsly end up paying something, and we're fine with that. (I'm not exactly sure how it works since we've never broken a lease before..). But we can't stay here.

Now here's my question. Is it even legal for him to rent it out as two seperate residences when the water and electricity is shared?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Ask an attorney
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Not Legal!
JuneCleaver256
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Not even close. I'd take him to court. Can you prove you asked him to fix things and he refused? Do you have a copy of the lease? You can get a free consult to almost any lawyer.
DisabledVet
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Report him to whoever oversees housing problems in your city. I think what he's doing is illegal.

Some gave all and all gave some. Remember your rights as an American were earned with the blood of others. Don't waste them and please do your duty as a citizen and vote intelligently in every election.

redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Call an attorney.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

No and you may eb entitled for all your rent money back. Contact housing authority and go from there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

you're better off calling the building and zoning office and asking them, and turning him in..also find out if he liable to pay you back for the appliances, and faulty apt.

Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
by Samantha on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Call your local housing authority. I am guessing there are also several code violations. Also, call an attorney. If it is an illegal apartment you probably do not have to pay for breaking your lease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Sounds like an illegal dwelling to me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Text messages and emails. I've saved em all. I had A feeling that if/when we moved he'd try to pull some shit.

Quoting JuneCleaver256: Not even close. I'd take him to court. Can you prove you asked him to fix things and he refused? Do you have a copy of the lease? You can get a free consult to almost any lawyer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)