Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe she doesn't know she is being pushy...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
But she really is right now.

Three days ago we got a puppy. She is a 4 month old Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix. The conditions in which she were living were not good and we suspect that she wasn't taken very well care of. The dogs eye was red, irritated, and it had gunk around the eye, which I suspected to be irritation and now believe to be an infection/cherry eye/or something like that.

My neighbor is a vet and she said she would look at the puppy for free and give it all of its shots (she tries to do this for everyone's animals, she is a very sweet woman). She said that, until she can see the dog (tomorrow or Saturday) I just could keep her eye clean by wiping the gunk from around it and watching it. It isn't as red today, but there was a lot more of the gunk.

SIL keeps telling me to take the dog to Darlene (a woman whom she is friends with) -- this woman used to run the local animal shelter but got fired for selling animals to testing areas and leaving animal bodies in trash cans in the back of the pet shelter. She also lives close to my MIL.

Today I was going to drop my DH off at MILs house and she said "now you can take the dog to Darlene!" Everytime I have went out to leave the yard (she lives next door) she has said "take the dog with you to see Darlene. You are going out that way anyway!" Sometimes I wasn't going that way. Like she has been aggravating me about it since the day we got her! She knows I'm gonna take the dog to see my neighbor as soon as I can. I don't feel comfortable with the Darlene woman after what happened at the shelter.

I don't know if she realizes that she is being pushy, but she is pissing me off. It isn't like I am purposely avoiding getting the dog treatment!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:26 PM
B
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM
You have to learn how to give an assertive NO. It's polite, but firm and leaves no room for arguing. It's all in the tone, eye contact and facial expression. It serves me well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulalacroix
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Why not just tell her no?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM
I have, but she is one of those people who only hear what they want to hear and think they are right no matter what.

Quoting lulalacroix:

Why not just tell her no?

BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
You can politely but firmly say, "I've already made arrangements to have the dog seen, but thank you for your concern."

Then repeat as necessary.
AZHOTMOM
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her you want your dog seen by a professional, not someone who dumps dead animals in trash cans. Gonna have to be blunt.

MilkLover0203
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Maybe this is why my fiancé says I have no filter. I'd tell her NO, and then repeat myself MANY times if she didn't get the hint.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Good for you!  So many people think a lay person is qualified to provide veterinary care. First off, a vet goes through 8 years of schooling (college and vet) and legally is the only person allowed to provide care. 

A vet goes through just as much training as an MD for more species, but a lot of people think a disgraced shelter worker would be just as qualified :(

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I would not take any animal to a woman who sold shelter animals to labs. 

katemckenzie
by Kate on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her the next time you hear the name Darlene, you're going to punch her in the face.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)