• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forcefully cut open

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
On Tuesday, a woman was given a court-ordered c-section in Rio Grande Do Sul, Brazil. Brazil has one of the highest c-section rates in the world, 82% average in private hospitals and up to 99% in some. There is a Brazilian joke, "the only reason you wouldn't have a c-section is because your doctor is stuck in traffic."

This was this woman's third pregnancy; she was given c-sections the first two times. She was determined to let her body give birth vaginally this time. On... Monday, she went into labor and went to the hospital. The doctor recommended immediate cesarean. She signed out AMA (against medical advice) and went home, hoping to let her body labor and progress to the point where she could return to the hospital and be supported in a non-surgical birth. Meanwhile, her doctor was able to pick up the phone and get a judge to issue an order to force her into surgery. In the middle of that night, 3:10am, armed military police showed up at her door to force her back to the hospital. When they got her to the hospital, she was found to be in "advanced labor" and wheeled into immediate surgery. Her husband was found to be "frantic" by what was happening, and so he was excluded from the room during the surgery.

When doctors who "recommend" surgical delivery for most of their patients, half their patients, or 1/3 of their patients have the power to pick up the phone and force a non-compliant woman into surgical birth, every woman should be very concerned. This woman signed the "liability waivers" that are supposed to acknowledge her legal authority as the decision-maker about her own body. Her doctor apparently found those waivers meaningless. It was clear to him that he held the power to decide that all her births would be surgical. And a court agreed.

This is why HRiC exists. This is why a revolution is needed in maternity care. Too many people have lost sight of who it is who deserves to be trusted and respected as the decision-maker in childbirth. In an obstetric system with a c-section pandemic, it sure isn't the doctor. In every setting, with any provider, that person is the birthing woman. Her authority over the decision to deliver by surgery, and over every other decision about her body and her baby, is a fundamental human right.

http://sites.uai.com.br/app/noticia/saudeplena/noticias/2014/04/02/noticia_saudeplena,148157/mandado-judicial-retira-mae-em-trabalho-de-parto-de-casa-para-obriga.shtml
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM
I guess they don't believe in body autonomy there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It happened in Brazil. Focus on the country you live in and not in other countries business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Holy shit! I had no idea C section rates were so high there!

quirky_mama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM

wow...just wow! I'm so glad I don't live there!

AZHOTMOM
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Well now doesn't Brazil suck ass. That is horrible.

katemckenzie
by Kate on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM

That's fucked up.

3MusketeerMama
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Glad I don't live in Brazil. I had to have a section with my last baby but it was medically necessary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Because humans are worth more or less depending on where they were born?

Quoting Anonymous:

It happened in Brazil. Focus on the country you live in and not in other countries business.

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Holy shit that's one hell of a power trip that doctor was on! How horrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JuneCleaver256
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Wow
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)