• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugly bridesmaid dress

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM
  • 44 Replies
My sister is getting married in August. She has 2 bridesmaids/matrons, me and her best friend who is a 00. I am a size 16. She wants us to wear the same style dress. The dress is called peplum and is very unflattering on anyone let alone someone bigger. I suggested we wear the same color and different styles of dress but she does not want that. Idk what to do. Should I have to wear a dress with a big ruffle over my tummy? It is super unflattering. I just don't think I should have to wear something that makes me embarrassed.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Can you post pics?
GranolaHippie
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Bump
GranolaHippie
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
She has not chosen the actual dress yet, but I will post an example.
mizhoward
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Pix please.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I would think the same as you if I was a 16 and the other gal was a 0. Different styles would be the best bet in this situation.

MsEmma88
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM
I had the same issue. Ended up wearing the Damon thing getting lots of comments that I had to grin and bear and now its stuffed in a box of costumes. Sorry dear. Sometimes the bride makes decisions and if she isn't flexible then the rest of us have to grin and bear it
Ashgambit
by Boomstick on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I would ask her to please find a dress that is the same color and flatters the other dress while flattering your figure a bit more. Tell her you understand that this day is all about her, you're just asking for a bit more comfort.
lulalacroix
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know why brides do this.  She should pick the same fabric and color, then allow you to pick a dress that suits your body shape.

GranolaHippie
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM
My tablet is slow and not letting me post pics. Will post when when I am at the PC.
svolkov
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
This. I would say I love you and want to stand by you but with my size I would be so embarrassed in that dress it would be all I could think of rather than enjoying the ceremony

Quoting lulalacroix:

I don't know why brides do this.  She should pick the same fabric and color, then allow you to pick a dress that suits your body shape.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)