• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom poo-pooed my meds :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

I told her tonight on the phone that I was having a glass of wine. She said "Good That's a lot better than all the drugs." I take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds but am weaning off of one med. I told her, though that I just started Abilify and she said "Oy vey." Honestly, I felt myself starting to sink before adding the Abilify; she has no clue how I feel. Depression is an illness and I'm feeling offended by her.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM
I refuse to talk to my parents about meds anymore. Just not going to discuss it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Good idea.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I refuse to talk to my parents about meds anymore. Just not going to discuss it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Most people just don't understand, I'd probably stop telling her about your mental health/meds. I get that you want someone to vent/talk to but she's just not the one for you. With that said, I have been there and probably always will be on and off, I hope that the Abilify helps.

Not trying to be pushy but are you taking any vitamins? I added a multi, fish oil, green tea, d3, and b-complex to my routine and it helped A LOT. 

An0nym0use
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I don't discuss it with my family, especially not my mom. Worst part? She suffers from anxiety, bipolar and bpd. You would think her of all people would understand, but she wants to be the only one sick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:18 PM
My mom told my doctor when he wanted me on antidepressants in high school"she doesn't need fucking crazy pills". I did and I do...only I feel too embarrassed to talk to a doctor. My logical mind knows its medication and I would feel better. My anxiety tells me I will officially be "crazy". How did you find the courage to talk to a doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I have a disorder that basically combines schizophrenia and manic depression, my mom gets judgemental over my meds too. My meds keep me together, I don't think anyone has a right to judge me because I need my seroquel to function. I don't talk about it with her anymore
BobKitten13
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM
People that have not been there and delt with it do not get it. I would look into the long list of vitamins as well. They are very helpful.
kzoboe
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You are right, a lot of people just do not understand.  You have to do what it right for you.  Good luck to you and to you also, OP!

Quoting Anonymous:

Most people just don't understand, I'd probably stop telling her about your mental health/meds. I get that you want someone to vent/talk to but she's just not the one for you. With that said, I have been there and probably always will be on and off, I hope that the Abilify helps.

Not trying to be pushy but are you taking any vitamins? I added a multi, fish oil, green tea, d3, and b-complex to my routine and it helped A LOT. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I usually take D3, B Complex, Magnesium and Fish Oil. I guess a good multi would be good too. Thanks!

Quoting Anonymous:

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Just don't discuss it with her.  Sadly, much of the older generations have very little understanding of mental health issues.  In their day, it was "shameful" and kept hidden.  The entire profession was seen as "quacks."  It was better to be an alcoholic than on any kind of "loony med."  Thankfully, some people stuck it out and were doctors and patients, and because of their perseverance advances were made.

Good luck.  I know depression is awful.  I have PTSD that makes me prone to depression and anxiety issues.  Some people cannot possibly understand.  Others try and completely miss the mark.  Every once in a while, though, you find one person who is awesome and knows just what to say and do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)