Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We just found out that my dh is autistic.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
My dh who is 35 was finally diagnosed on the spectrum yesterday. I have always known that something was off with him besides the ADHD and dyslexia. He just reminded me so much like my friend who is high functioning.

This is just starting to really sink in for me because even though I suspected that he was, I thought it could be something else too.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM

no 

bump

A_McCool
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I was diagnosed with Asperger's about a year ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:32 PM
I suspect my dh would be on the spectrum. He is severely dyslexic, dysgraphic and something else. He flips if things change.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Why did you suspect something was wrong ? 

Lordgodempress
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM

My ex DH has aspergers.  I didnt know until after we divorced ( we divorced 15 yrs ago and I had never even heard of aspergers then)   His being autistic definetely contributed to our divorce but not as much as him hitting me.   He was trying to figure out how to act socially and never could figure it out.    

Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

It does not have to be life changing.

A diagnosis is most helpful in identifying weaknesses, and working toward being the best individual you can be.

It will be okay. I'm sure living with someone with an ASD can be frustrating at times. It's also frustrating for those of us on the spectrum to live with NTs sometimes too. It's all about learning each other's language, and continuing to grow as a couple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Dh flips at change too. He is finally getting the help he needs after all of these years of working past it and ignoring it.

Quoting Anonymous: I suspect my dh would be on the spectrum. He is severely dyslexic, dysgraphic and something else. He flips if things change.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM
We have a ton of hope that things will get better but at this point in time it is a lot to take in. All I really know is that we are getting dh help with new coping skills since most of what I know just does not work.

Quoting Cymbeline:

A diagnosis is most helpful in identifying weaknesses, and working toward being the best individual you can be.

It will be okay. I'm sure living with someone with an ASD can be frustrating at times. It's also frustrating for those of us on the spectrum to live with NTs sometimes too. It's all about learning each other's language, and continuing to grow as a couple.

CocoaKisses70
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Oh wow, what were his symptoms or what was he doing that caused you to suspect this? or did you?

Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I wish the both of you the best. As long as he's willing to work on coping, and doesn't forget your feelings, it should be just fine. :)

Quoting Anonymous: We have a ton of hope that things will get better but at this point in time it is a lot to take in. All I really know is that we are getting dh help with new coping skills since most of what I know just does not work.
Quoting Cymbeline:

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)