Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In KY and can't get car insurance...WTH!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

Okay, so I have called two insurance companies so far. I just recently moved to KY from TN and the laws here just blow my fucking mind. First I talked to Esurance. I could get it, but would need to pay the whole year which would be $1000, which I do not have. Next, I talked to Nationwide. The guy informed me that in KY, you cannot get car insurance unless you have car insurance. I asked what about a new driver who just got a car? He said, "They cannot get insurance. You need coverage and 3 years driving experience." Okay... that's fucking ridiculous to me. He said NY is the same way. I had insurance about a month ago on two cars. Both of them became undriveable and I don't even have them in my possession so I wasn't going to pay 200 bucks for something that was not going to benefit me. I ended up getting a new car and I can't get a tag until I get insurance. I can't get insurance unless I have insurance?? What the hell? So what am I supposed to do? My mom lives in TN. Could I just use her address and then switch with mine? I just really don't understand what I'm supposed to do. It seems like they don't want you to get insurance so they can give you a ticket.

Is there anyone in KY that knows what to do or a company that will allow me to get insurance with monthly payments? I have to drive my car. I have work.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM
That's the oddest thing I've heard on a while. You should contact someone at the DMV about this odd insurance law. That doesn't even sound right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Insurance.com

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM

That's weird...  I would talk to someone else.  Have you tried Progressive?  Allstate?  Aetna?  Any of the other major car insurance places?

sweetsouthrnMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I just moved from that state...we had Geico. I would call every possible company in the phone book...Good Luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I.can understand the 1,000 dollar one as you've had insurance laps but never heard of the other way lol. But you should know you can't licence or tag your car in your state without insurance from that state. So if u buy it from another state your tags have to be from there too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I'm gonna call some more companies tomorrow. I've never heard of that before.

Quoting Nicoleb9: That's the oddest thing I've heard on a while. You should contact someone at the DMV about this odd insurance law. That doesn't even sound right.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Thanks! I'll check that out!

Quoting Anonymous:

Insurance.com

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I was going to call Progressive tomorrow. I'll probably check out the other places too.

Quoting jas_momof2:

That's weird...  I would talk to someone else.  Have you tried Progressive?  Allstate?  Aetna?  Any of the other major car insurance places?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Did you ever hear of that law?

Quoting sweetsouthrnMom:

I just moved from that state...we had Geico. I would call every possible company in the phone book...Good Luck!

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Progressive is good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)