Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

After Mirena

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM
  • 11 Replies
I had my Mirena removed after a full five years on 2/25/14. I was told I could start the pill when my period returned. My gyn called me a couple of weeks later to tell me at the time of my pap smear, I had a yeast infection so they prescribed me a single pill to take. During that convo, I asked if it's normal to still not have a period and when to start my pill. He advised I could pick any Sunday to start it since I'd just had the iud removed. Mind you, this was nearly two weeks after removal. My dh and I had unprotected sex the week leading up to removal, I inquired about accidental pregnancy at my appt before removal And he told me it was highly improbable. My Mirena had been trimmed short so it took some numbing topical ointment and a terrifyingly long forceps as well as a lot of pain to remove. I bled for about 3 days and felt like my insides had been ripped from my body for almost two weeks. I was bedridden for a few days after. I started the pill on March 9th and we went away for two nights on the 11th and 12th for our anniversary. The gyn said I shouldn't be ovulating yet and so I could start the pill pack even before my first post Mirena period. Needless to say we had unprotected sex because I was led to believe that after a few days it became effective. I'm allergic to latex, spermicide and am sensitive to a lot of other barrier methods which is why we used mirena and bc pills. I took a test before starting the pill even though the gyn said I couldn't possible be pg, it was neg so I started the pack. I finished the 3 weeks of active pills on this past Saturday March 29th. It's now April 3 and I have not had any inklings of a period. I had all of the side effects from the iud and they're slowly going away. I am wondering if I should keep waiting and start my new pill pack anyway this Sunday or if I should wait and try another test. We are definitely not trying for a baby, we felt pretty ridiculous after I was ready for sex on our trip. Like fumbling with condoms because it had been so long since we'd used them. Even the latex free ones irritate my vagina. . So in the heat of the too much wine moment, we took it off. We have 3 boys, I've been wanting to try for a girl for years but my dh said we'd have to move into a bigger house so it had been tossed off the table. It won't be the end of the world if I am. .. Just not planned. BTW I didn't have a period the entire five years I had it in.

Update; I took a test this evening and it was negative. I'll be so happy when all of these mirena issues finally go away.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM
I had the mirena for about a year. I had it removed because of ovarian cysts constantly and we would be ready to ttc a few months later. I never had a period with the mirena.

Long story short, even a year later I am still having issues. I am either bleeding to death to the point of needing transfusions or I don't have a period. I probably should have just bought a stock in ept. Lol.

I would just start a new pack. It's common and possible to skip a period as your body gets used to the new birth control.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM
I had no problems getting mine removed and started my period a week or so later and then conceived in my third full cycle.
Its_kay_10
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM
I just had mine out March 29 after two and a half years and still don't have my period or any bleeding at all.
Its_kay_10
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM
This scares me. I used to get cramps and bleed bad when I was in HS it get better but still.

Quoting darcibeisheim: I had the mirena for about a year. I had it removed because of ovarian cysts constantly and we would be ready to ttc a few months later. I never had a period with the mirena.

Long story short, even a year later I am still having issues. I am either bleeding to death to the point of needing transfusions or I don't have a period. I probably should have just bought a stock in ept. Lol.

I would just start a new pack. It's common and possible to skip a period as your body gets used to the new birth control.
darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM
I was really bad. I have had blood transfusions, a4-day stay in the hospital(that I have almost no memory of), biospies of the uterus and cervix, ultrasounds, a d&c, medications, and more medications. My doctor is very perplexed. I am on birth control pills again at the moment and if it don't work, it's looking like a hysterectomy or ablation.

Quoting Its_kay_10: This scares me. I used to get cramps and bleed bad when I was in HS it get better but still.

Quoting darcibeisheim: I had the mirena for about a year. I had it removed because of ovarian cysts constantly and we would be ready to ttc a few months later. I never had a period with the mirena.

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I had my Mirena in for 5 yrs and never had a period either.It's been out for 2 yrs and I still haven't had a period but my periods were few and far between even before getting pregnant and then having the Mirena inserted so we don't believe it has anything to do with it.But I know it's normal for your period to take awhile to come back after removal.

Its_kay_10
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:01 PM

That sounds like a nightmare

Quoting darcibeisheim: I was really bad. I have had blood transfusions, a4-day stay in the hospital(that I have almost no memory of), biospies of the uterus and cervix, ultrasounds, a d&c, medications, and more medications. My doctor is very perplexed. I am on birth control pills again at the moment and if it don't work, it's looking like a hysterectomy or ablation.
Quoting Its_kay_10: This scares me. I used to get cramps and bleed bad when I was in HS it get better but still.
Quoting darcibeisheim: I had the mirena for about a year. I had it removed because of ovarian cysts constantly and we would be ready to ttc a few months later. I never had a period with the mirena. Long story short, even a year later I am still having issues. I am either bleeding to death to the point of needing transfusions or I don't have a period. I probably should have just bought a stock in ept. Lol. I would just start a new pack. It's common and possible to skip a period as your body gets used to the new birth control.

MomTastic4
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I had Mirena for less than a year. I took it out myself because my doctor insisted things would get better and that it would not be a smart idea to have it taken out. I had EVERY side effect they list in the booklet. I even developed psoriasis 2 weeks after placement (psoriasis does NOT run in my family). I was in the doctors office at LEAST once a month due to severe pain from cysts. DH and I couldn't have sex because it hurt him. I am so glad I took it out. I went on the pill after that.

alciedalcie
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM
I had textbook periods before. I got it in at my 6 week appt after my last son in 2009 and had it taken out almost to the day. I had nearly every side effect as well, but I'm terrible procrastinator and kept putting it off until I absolutely couldn't anymore. I have to admit it was easy to not have to worry about bc or condoms and no period was great! But I constantly felt prego and nauseas and was always tired. I've been slowly improving since removal. I decided it was better to just not get another one. Especially after the terrible removal. I'm still not fully recovered from that trauma inside. I'm feeling crampy now, so maybe my body is trying to have a period. .. but can't yet or something. I'm honestly a bit sad that I am not pregnant, even though it would've been a surprise.
hma1216
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Mines up next year. Can I get a new one then?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)