Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy maid

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Ok so this post is mainly for the moms who have older children.

Do you do everything for your kids.. Like wash their clothes, fold their clothes, put their clothes away, cook for them (bfast, lunch, dinner), serve them, wash their dishes, clean up after them, basically do EVERYTHING... ??

My MIL does/did everything for her kids. She has 5 boys. The youngest is 15 and they do absolutely nothing. The most they will do is make up their beds and they rarely ever do that. If there's no cooked food, they will NOT make anything to eat. They'll pour themselves a bowl of cereal at the most.
This is just crazy, IMO. I mean I understand cooking for your family and serving everyone but to make almost every meal for your kids because god forbid they do it themselves.. Is just insane.
My DH is the laziest person I know when it comes to house work and just providing a helping hand. I have to ask him like 10 times till he actually gets his butt up and helps out.
I have two boys and I will make sure they know how to pick up after themselves and THEY WILL help mama. I had chores when I was younger.. I plan on giving my boys chore work also.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Not everything...  I'll wash his clothes if he brings his hamper down.  He folds and puts them away.  I cook, but I cook for everyone, everyday so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.  I get hungry - I cook enough for everyone - what's the big deal?  He does dishes and takes care of his room, the trash in the entire house and mows the yard.  He's 19, works and goes to school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Your son sounds like a responsible 19 year old who can actually do things on his own.
My brother in laws won't do anything. Ever.. Because they don't have to.
I totally understand the cooking thing, but I'm sure if your son was hungry, he could make something of his own.. Right?
My brother in laws can't and won't.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Not everything...  I'll wash his clothes if he brings his hamper down.  He folds and puts them away.  I cook, but I cook for everyone, everyday so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.  I get hungry - I cook enough for everyone - what's the big deal?  He does dishes and takes care of his room, the trash in the entire house and mows the yard.  He's 19, works and goes to school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:24 PM
If one of my brother in laws are hungry,... They'll go to their mom and she'll make them something. She'll drop whatever it is she's doing and make them something to eat,.. Even if its a sandwich. I think that's just crazy... Idk.

Quoting Anonymous: Your son sounds like a responsible 19 year old who can actually do things on his own.
My brother in laws won't do anything. Ever.. Because they don't have to.
I totally understand the cooking thing, but I'm sure if your son was hungry, he could make something of his own.. Right?
My brother in laws can't and won't.

Quoting jas_momof2:

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:25 PM

If opening a can of soup and eating out of the can with a spoon constitutes as making something, then yeah...  lol.  From the time he was 14/15 I had him help me cook dinner one night a week and "taught" him how to make things.  He "can" - he just doesn't... 

Quoting Anonymous: Your son sounds like a responsible 19 year old who can actually do things on his own. My brother in laws won't do anything. Ever.. Because they don't have to. I totally understand the cooking thing, but I'm sure if your son was hungry, he could make something of his own.. Right? My brother in laws can't and won't.
Quoting jas_momof2:

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM

My kids are almost 11, 8 and 4 and they pick up after them selves. The older two do dishes once a week, sweep bathrooms once a week. They take turns doing taking out small garbages and doing other chores that we ask them. They help fold clothes sometimes. They help make sandwhiches and stuff for lunches, I have started to teach my oldest to make simple dinners and to do laundry.

My husband helps some around the house. He cooks a few nights a week and does a few chores, but since I am home I do most of it.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Your future daughter-in-laws will thank you one day.

livn4laundry
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM

My boys are 14 and 13. They take turns emptying garbage and recycling everyday. They also take cans to curb weekly. They also take turns emptying dishwasher and filling it when I ask them too, bu I hate the way they load it so I don't ask that often. They pack their own lunches every night. They put their own laundry away and if they want something special washed when I'm not doing laundry they are responsible for washing it, but they must run a full load, from start to fold, they both know how. (But usually they ask really desperately and I do it). I do everyday laundry otherwise. They are responsible for keeping their own spaces; bedrooms, tv rooms, playrooms, clean and clutter free. They also help with weekly chores like wiping down bathrooms, unloading groceries and cutting grass. I cook dinner daily and on weekends I also make lunch. They are responsible for breakfast and snacks and if for some reason I'm not making lunch or dinner they are capable of putting together an adequate hot meal for themselves and the rest of the family. They are also very capable at caring for their baby sister, though we don't ask them to do that often.

My 2 year old is responsible for putting away the silverware and picking up all the shoes. She picks up all the toys and helps carry dirty clothes to the laundry room. She also helps put groceries away, her favorite job, and she helps clear the table after dinner.

I really try to train them as future husbands, not just sons. My husband grew up in a Beaver Cleaver home where his mother did everything for them. He's great about helping, but it took me 25 years of training him.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM

by the time I was 8, I was pretty much taking care of my ownself regarding cooking and cleaning, etc.  I am also raising my daughters as self-sufficient and independent adults. 

DensHag
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Both of my kids were doing their own laundry when they were about 12. They both know how to cook and load/unload dishwasher, take out trash, etc. my daughter had a friend who when she went away to college, she didn't know how to do laundry. I think that is shameful! Mine are adults now and totally self-sufficient.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)