Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

argument with childless 25yo SIL

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
Over my choice not to give my daughter rice cereal. My daughter's 4months 3weeks... she eats every 3-4 hours (similac) and sleeps through the night with a breeze. i just feel that she doesn't need rice cereal, empty calories and what not.But my neighbor ((who does not have custody of her two kids)) and my SIL were asking about it and I told them about my research and decision and instantly they know more about my dds health than her doctor and dozens of well educated people with MD after their names . My sil got mad because I told her that it was simply my personal choice as a mother and she was just like "I'm done. you're not going to listen to me. blahblah." She said she saw i had to feed he twice in a row. i explained it was probably due to. a growth spurt. she just rolled her eyes. The kicker is she has a friend with a baby that's like 3 months old. (Preemie drugbaby) and she was all like "so and so gives it to her baby" oh yeah she's always been my idol in parenting. my neighbor kept saying I don't know what you're reading but its bullshit. yadda yadda. I just don't get why they can't understand that not only is it my decision, but that its the right one for MY baby. I can't believe they acted so abrasive about it. its almost laughable, who this advice was coming so vehemently. I'M. just shocked at the way my SIL was acting. she's never taken care of a baby in her life. Nor is she educated in the topic. So I have no idea why she thinks she can question my choices as a mother at all. And one I'm so confident in too!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mstasha210
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Don't you just love parenting advice from someone who's not a parent?  I wouldn't even have argued with them that long.  Their opinions shouldn't matter.  Do what you think is right for your baby, mama.

shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I hate people like that

karrahM
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I read similar advice that said our country is addicted to highly processed white starch, which is what baby cereal is. It is junk. You are doing the right thing. Nothing else until six months!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM
My SIl is pregnant with her first child and tried to give my baby waffles and taco meat (two separate times) when she was 3 months and said she should be eating real food by now smh I almost smacked her...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Yeah. i also got shit for wanting to wait for 6months to feed her baby food. & wanting to make it myself. I'm still frustrated with how stupid they sounded. I mean they reall called my dd's doctor an idiot. They were really acting like they knew more then all sorts of researchers. neither one of them are educated or aware of the world around them. my SIL said "she's a new mom, she'll learn" to my beighbor like I wasn't there. its ridiculous i swear.

Quoting karrahM:

I read similar advice that said our country is addicted to highly processed white starch, which is what baby cereal is. It is junk. You are doing the right thing. Nothing else until six months!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Omg i would have

Quoting Anonymous: My SIl is pregnant with her first child and tried to give my baby waffles and taco meat (two separate times) when she was 3 months and said she should be eating real food by now smh I almost smacked her...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Dd never had it. I tried once when she was 6 months old and hated it so she never got it again.

Eta: she never had it in a bottle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I just don't understand how people can think they know anything about something they've never researched. And to continue on unabashed as I cite articles and other information. I would be too humbled to continue on. But not them. I'm a bitch because I wont feed MY dd what and when they want. still missing why they seem so invested.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)