Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

losing my temper

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I find myself losing my temper and reacting towards my children in a way I do not like. It really scares me at times. I would never hurt my children but I hate those feelings. It freaks me out because my father was abusive and had a very short temper. I do not want to be like him. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:25 PM

How old are they?  I learned to just walk away.  Easier said than done though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

its really hard to overcome our past and change the ways weve learned from our parents. i try really hard to not be like my dad but i find myself yelling and taking out my anger and stress on my kids. i break down everytime and say not again but it happens again. it hurts like hell cause i love my kids more than everything in this world id do anything for them. your not alone

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I hate to state the obvious, but counseling can do wonders and the sooner you get a handle on it the better.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM
When you get mad turn around and walk away. Close your eyes and breath. Just remember you can't expect your children to control their emotions if you can't.
I find it also helps to just start laughing. Realize how silly you are being.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Go to therapy .....Now before it gets worse....GL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM
I get that way also sometimes. But to walk away if the child is in a safe spot. I'm yelling more and it scares me because my mom yelled a lot. I'm working on it. And you noticing there might be a problem is the first step to improving
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM

My kids are 4 (girl) and 2(boy)

JustMeKat
by Kat on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I was raised until I was 12 in a very abusive home, my mom was horrible. I took those years to remember the fright I felt as a kid an put them into my parenting. I have my days when I want to jump out of my skin, so I leave an go for a ride, horse car, bike, whatever an breathe. You have to find what works for you an find time to do it, before the kids are up, after they go to bed, when ever you can. Ever need to just talk pm me

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Speaking from experience by growing up in dysfunction. It is up to YOU to break the cycle.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)