• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old sleep walking and wakes himself (and us) screaming bloody murder

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
My 4 year old has recently started sleep walking... Ish? He's always kinda wondered. He gets out of bed and lays in his closet or the hallway and never wakes up or remember how he got there.

now he's wondering into the kitchen or living room, I assume looking for us, and just screaming. Completely asleep but appears to be completely terrified. The past few days were able to get him awake enough to talk to us and when asked what's wrong he says he's hungry or wants to watch cartoons. But then falls back to sleep before you can even respond.

tonight my parents have him and he did this again. Woke up screaming. Wondering the house. Mom said he was acting like he just got beaten. He usually wakes like this way later in the night. Around 2-3 am. Tonight it was only 10pm.

I don't know what to do any more. The doctor brushes it off as night terror but it's getting worse and DS says (next morning when he's actually awake) he didn't have bad dreams and remembers nothing from the night before.
sometimes he screams so hard he fights us (kicking and hitting) and hell wake himself.

anyone gone through this? Any suggestions?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Bump
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Sounds like night terrors! My oldest son had them when he was around 2-3 years old. I don't know if there is anything you can do about them. My son just had to outgrow his. We'd go in his room and try to comfort him the best we could. He had them almost every night at the same time for a couple of months. They are awful!
Mrs.Bryant1201
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM
My son outgrew it.
Shy_Dia
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Night terror with sleep walking?

I'd put a gate up at his door. He seems to be getting further and further. Last thing you'd need is him falling asleep outside
sweettea1985
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:03 AM
I would get a second opinion.. maybe a childrens hospital where they can do a sleep study. . What are his eating patterns around bed... what type of cartoons is he watching close to bed time..
sounds like an issue of transitioning from REM and non REM sleep...

does he take any meds? One thing you may want to consider is trying melatonin.. maybe it will relax him enough to put him in a deep enough sleep that hes not sleep walking. Just trying to think of a few things I would possibly try
MotherOF5Cuties
by Abby on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:03 AM
My oldest used to do that . She would run around in the kitchen and she would go back to bed and I followed her to the room and she was sitting up pretending she was eating. And another Tim she headed straight to the from door and trying to get out and she was talking to her self saying,but im trying to open the door but I can't. That's when I freaked out and walked her to the room. Weird thing tho she only did that when she was sleeping by herself but when I slept in her bed with her she didn't sleep walk. Now she's 17"yr old and does it once on a while.
t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM
It's night terrors. Ds still occasionally has them at 7, but nothing like they were. Do not try to wake him. Try your best to get him to a safe area or bed. Talk soothing and apply pressure; hug, blankets, etc. some other things that worked for is was tracking food and tv time. Ds was obsessed with transformers when the night terrors were really bad. Took away transformers movies and cartoons and we saw an immediate improvement. We also noticed juice at dinner caused them because he was waking to pee, but not enough to get to the bathroom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:07 AM
He watches very little TV. Like doesn't even watch a 30 minute show a day. And when he does its around the early afternoon time. Usually a show called artzooka (sp?) or this kids invention type thing... All 3 of my kids would much rather be outside. None of them have interest in sitting still for very long. I have no clue why he cries for cartoons.
he's never taken any meds aside from Tylenol for fevers.

Quoting sweettea1985: I would get a second opinion.. maybe a childrens hospital where they can do a sleep study. . What are his eating patterns around bed... what type of cartoons is he watching close to bed time..
sounds like an issue of transitioning from REM and non REM sleep...

does he take any meds? One thing you may want to consider is trying melatonin.. maybe it will relax him enough to put him in a deep enough sleep that hes not sleep walking. Just trying to think of a few things I would possibly try
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Yeah mom said he pees himself tonight during the fighting/screaming but I'm not sure what he fed him or gave him to drink. With us its water or milk

Quoting t1gger143: It's night terrors. Ds still occasionally has them at 7, but nothing like they were. Do not try to wake him. Try your best to get him to a safe area or bed. Talk soothing and apply pressure; hug, blankets, etc. some other things that worked for is was tracking food and tv time. Ds was obsessed with transformers when the night terrors were really bad. Took away transformers movies and cartoons and we saw an immediate improvement. We also noticed juice at dinner caused them because he was waking to pee, but not enough to get to the bathroom.
wise.toes
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:10 AM

yep. it's a phase, it's quite possible he'll outgrow it, although i do nkow of a 9yr old that still gets them frequently.

just let it run it's course. don't interfere with whatever he's doing unless he's hurting himself. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)