Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Youth football, has anyone changed their minds? How do you justify allowing a child to do this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 359 Replies
1 mom liked this

I may be the only one who watched Friday night Tykes, but I was intrigued. I couldn't believe how these adults were treating these kids. I couldn't believe that there weren't parents making better choices for their kids. 

Well I just watched the last episode where they brought in former NFL players, drs, child psychologists and analysts to discuss the implication of child sports and the dangers of youth football.

It really opened my eyes. Now, my son did try football. At 9 he played pop warner for a month. He went through the month long everyday work out and then played in two games. He decided it wasn't for him. He had serious concerns for his own safety. So we walked away from it, and I am confident we made the right choice.

Now that I've done more research(I really hadn't done much at the time) I can't believe I ever put him in it to begin with. 

Did nyone else see that episode? Or watch the show? Has you views changed at all?

If your child plays, how do you justify the damage you could be doing to them?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
No idea what show you're talking about. But football for kids is totally dangerous. Concussions, broken body parts, death, etc. I would never allow my children to play.
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM
No, I haven't and don't watch that show. I've heard awful things tho. But I wouldn't put my son in football if I had the choice. My nephew has TBI from falling off a merry-go-round and that showed me firsthand the damage head injuries can do. Football is extremely dangerous and more people need to speak up about the damage it has done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

It was a show where they followed TYFA, the texas you football association, for a season. Supposedly they are the most competitive youth football league in the country. 

Quoting berlgirl1224: No idea what show you're talking about. But football for kids is totally dangerous. Concussions, broken body parts, death, etc. I would never allow my children to play.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:17 AM
My son has never shown an interest in football, but even if he did, I wouldn't allow it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I was shocked to find out that most long term professional football players do not allow their kids to play before highschool. I think thats very telling. 

We'll be signing our boys up for flag football through the NFL this fall. 

Quoting An0nym0use: No, I haven't and don't watch that show. I've heard awful things tho. But I wouldn't put my son in football if I had the choice. My nephew has TBI from falling off a merry-go-round and that showed me firsthand the damage head injuries can do. Football is extremely dangerous and more people need to speak up about the damage it has done.

elrikandisis
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never even heard of the show. My son plays football (soccer) and baseball and he loves it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM

My son plays baseball too. While that has it's own issues and it scares the shit out of me sometimes, I don't feel it's as bad as football. 

Quoting elrikandisis:

I have never even heard of the show. My son plays football (soccer) and baseball and he loves it.

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I'm hoping that my son is never interested in playing football. He is on the smaller side so hopefully that dissuades him.

I don't want to have to fight that issue unless I absolutely have no choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM
7 moms liked this
My son plays football and tball. It is safe and they don't push the kids too far. There are signs all over the park that say remember, these are kids, this is a game, coaches are volunteers, you don't play for the braves/falcons (we live in Georgia)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM
7 moms liked this
I have no clue what show you are talking about. However, my boys have been in football since kindergarten. They played flag football from K-5, then in middle is was Simi touch, but now in high school it is full on touch. I would never tell my kids they could not do a sport if that was what they wanted to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)