Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Confession: I Take Prescription Diet Pills When I'm Stressed

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:12 AM
  • 56 Replies

Mom Confession: I Take Prescription Diet Pills When I'm Stressed

by Jenny Erikson

PillsI have a little confession to make, since I'm (mostly) all about keeping it real up in here. You see, I really, really love food. Like, ridiculously love food. You know the saying, "some people eat to live and others live to eat"? I don't even understand that first group. People that say they're so busy they forgot to eat? They might as well be speaking Greek. Mmmm, Greek yogurt. Wait, what?

Anyway, not only do I love to eat, but I'm a stress eater. This one time in college, a friend said she always got really skinny after a breakup, because she couldn't eat when she was sad. I was all -- but, but, but ... ice cream!

The problem with this love of food and compulsion to eat my feelings is that I also really love being a size six -- for both physical and emotional reasons.

I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disorder, and told at 17 that those cushy things between my vertebrae were about as cushy as a 50-year-old's, so Lord knows how flat they are now. What I do know is that if my weight creeps up past a certain number, it's pain city for the ol' backbone.

Now, I could totally say it's purely for health reasons and leave it at that, but I did say I like to keep it real, right? I've got body image issues, mmmkay? Cue the tiny violin for the I was a bulimic teenager song, and trust me when I say those issues run deep. Most of the time, I'm able to keep a lid on it, manage some self-control in the dietary department, and not stuff my face with a carne asada burrito.

But then there are times when I know it can get completely out of hand. Like going through a divorce for example. That's when I see my doc and get a prescription for appetite suppressants.

I don't use them to skip meals and starve myself. It's just a way to keep that aforementioned tendency to eat my feelings in check. Because if I don't ... I invariably start to go down that bulimia path again, and that's just no bueno.

Like anything, I know diet pills can be abused. But I try to be responsible about it, and only use them when I know I need a little extra help to keep the beast at bay.

Have you ever taken diet pills?

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lifeisadream
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:17 AM
You're still eating your feelings. Just instead of food you're eating diet pill chemicals. Maybe think if a new outlet?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM

This isn't about taking diet pills.  This is about making excuses for craptacular choices.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I dont eat my feelings, I just have a problem controlling portions because I LOVE FOOD haha. Im working on it though :)

JohnnysGirl1967
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I have, but those pills give me really bad anxiety, so I stay away from them.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I would never take diet pills. I would rather be fat than a drug addict.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to pop them like candy when I was young and stupid. The ones with ephedra (now banned) worked wonders and I lost a ton of weight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM

How do you get those pills?

SlightlyPerfect
Chanting. "4 more weeks."
Yesterday at 8:14 PM
by Babushka Blockparty on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Introducing a stimulant while under stress can't be good for your heart.

But whatever. We all make choices.

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I took diet pills once just out of curiousity but they made me feel sick and sweat a lot so I never tried them again.  

happynewyorker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

When I was in my twenties I use to take over the counter medications. .  But, ended up with heart problems. I take Metormin which is for people with type 2 diabetes.  It suppresses you appetite and has been used by doctors for weight loss.  I take it at night and during the day it helps me not think about eating.

Since my divorce and my daughter and I living together. I've been making meals with a crock pot. Our snack is an ice pop or Italian Icy.  I have to say I've lost weight since moving on from my x.

My thing is I want to be a better eater and not an emotional one for my daughter's sake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)