Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm letting DD stay home from school today

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM
  • 30 Replies

I just wanted to give her some extra time to get better. She had like a mild something or other. The first day it was just a soar throat, then it was a super runny nose. By yesterday afternoon she was much better and today she seems fine. She's doing her homework for the week today so she can be ready for Monday, but I was afraid if I sent her back to school with a weakened immune system she would just get sick again. 

Do you give your kids an extra day to recoup when they are sick or do you send them back as soon as they seem better?

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

It really depends on what they were sick with and what they feel they need.  My son LOVES school, so if he wants to stay home, I know he needs it.  At least for now, anyways.

I definitely give the extra day when he's had vomiting/diarrhea.

ZoeCY
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I did the same with my daughter a few weeks ago. She started feeling sick on Sunday and didn't end up going to school that entire following week, although by school rules she could have on Friday. I felt the same way though. 

scraphappy12
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
If they were sick all day I would keep them the next day but if they were better in the afternoon or evening then I would send them. I don't think there is a right or wrong . You do what's best for your individual child. Hope everyone is on the mend!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM
I will when ds is in school. If he needs the extra day to get better I will gladly keep him home.
However there would be no game playing or tv watching and I will be practicing things with him home still like math and reading.
:)
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never had to keep the kids home for being sick. <<<knock on wood>>> They are in 1st and 3rd grade and we haev been really lucky.

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Usually I do. I like to see that they really are better with at least 1 day of observation.
snowflower902
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Yes. I Unusually do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM
I told the school I wanted to keep him one day and they,said if isn't throwing up or have a fever he was welcome at school. I think they gave him an unexcused absence. It was last year.
shaunaleigh418
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Last Monday, my daughter came home from school with a sore throat and fever. Tuesday, I kept her home because she still had a fever, sore throat and a headache. Wednesday, she stayed home due to congestion and a headache. Wednesday night into Thursday she developed a horrible cough that had her gagging and crying. By the end of the day on Thursday, every symptom was gone. Friday, I kept her home just to be on the safe side.
Heisenberg
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM

That's how I am. She loves school, so when she says she needs to stay home, I let her.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

It really depends on what they were sick with and what they feel they need.  My son LOVES school, so if he wants to stay home, I know he needs it.  At least for now, anyways.

I definitely give the extra day when he's had vomiting/diarrhea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN