Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD, child friendly wedding

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM
  • 34 Replies
Two good friends are getting married at a lake in May. The groom lived next door to me growing up, and the bride lived down the street. I've known them for 15 years.

The invite didn't say kid free and the invite was addressed only to me so when I RSVP I asked about the kids. The Bride said the kids were welcome, and that my kids would have fun with her cousins. She didn't mention anything about a sitter though.

Every wedding I've been to has had a sitter for young kids during the ceremony. Because in reality who expects a 2 year old to sit quietly for over an hour... I know there is no way my 1 & 2 year olds can sit still during the ceremony and being that it is outdoes will make it worse.

Well I was talking to my mom about it and she wants to keep the kids. But my 1 year old has never been away from me.

I was thinking about going to just the reception. But is that really rude?
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Bump
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

If I was the bride and had known you fifteen years, I would be offended. :/ 

Call the moh or bride and ask about a sitter during the ceremony?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM
That would be rude
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I had the same issue with a wedding not to long ago, I was nursing and my youngest is not public friendly let alone wedding freindly soo I had my mom keep my kids during the wedding and then she brought them up to the reception later worked out perfectly.

jjessers
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Personally I don't think it's rude.

Most of the weddings I've been to not even half the people show up for the ceremony.

When Dh's cousin got married her guest list was like 300 people.
Only about 50 showed up for the ceremony. She wasn't offended at all. Oh and, it wasn't even a kid friendly wedding where people would be worried about kids causing a disturbance.
rebeccarae
by Bec on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM

It'd be rude IMO.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM
The wedding is 2 hours away, I don't know if my mom would be willing to drive that far with the kids and I don't know if he would be able to handle them at the wedding.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had the same issue with a wedding not to long ago, I was nursing and my youngest is not public friendly let alone wedding freindly soo I had my mom keep my kids during the wedding and then she brought them up to the reception later worked out perfectly.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM
DS was only 3 and he was my brothers ring bearer. He behaved and he was up there standing the entire time. You really don't think they'd stay quiet?
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM
I didn't want to ask the bride directly. But I might ask her sister or the mother of the groom. The grooms parents are paying for it and it is at their lake house. If they aren't already they might decide to...

Quoting Sparklepants747:

If I was the bride and had known you fifteen years, I would be offended. :/ 

Call the moh or bride and ask about a sitter during the ceremony?

Seagodess
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM
I say call and ask about one or leave the kids.
I've only ever been to one wedding with a sitter. Hour ceremonies aren't common with the people i know. I've never brought my child to a wedding, even when i was asked to. I want to enjoy myself for a couple hours without my kid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)