Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Those who were NOT teen moms--how did you successfully avoid that path??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 489 Replies
1 mom liked this
The majority of people make it through their teenage years without having kids. How/why did you personally avoid it? Was it your upbringing? Religious beliefs? Parents kept open communication and offered bc? Were you involved in school activities and extracurriculars to keep you busy?

I wasn't a teen mom and I pray my girls follow in my footsteps. I think it was because

1) I was put on bc at an early age due to irregular periods
2) teen pregnancy wasn't big in my neighborhood or high school. I went to a good school with a high graduation rate and most went off to college.
3) my mom instilled in me the importance of a college education, and I come from a family of college graduates. To me, college was the unquestionably the next step after high school.
4) I had an older brother who talked to me candidly about boys just wanting to get in your pants and sex doeS not equal love.
5) I was never the type that thought having a baby as a teen was cute. The two or three girls I remember in hs who were pregnant I thought looked ridiculous and trashy and I kind of felt bad for them.
6) I carried condoms in my purse. Might have looked slutty but I was adamant about protected sex and knew if I boy got me pregnant id be the one to end up with the responsibility. And I was scared of STDS.

Just wondering how/why others made in to adulthood with no kids and how I can better raise my daughters to avoid going down this path. This was not intended to bash teen moms.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WindBlownOracle
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM
11 moms liked this

I KEPT MY LEGS CLOSED.

I also knew an education was my ticket to a good life, and I knew a baby at a young age would just fuck it all up. 

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM
11 moms liked this

I'm gay

ivy801
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
By not having sex till I was 21.
cindilou13
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Parents educated me on the birds and bees & had open communication, with iemphasis on respecting myself and personal responsibility.  I asked to get on birth control for both help with painful periods and as protection if I chose to have sex.  I also wouldn't have sex unless he had a condom additionally and never chose to put myself in a position (drinking too much, etc) where I wouldn't be able to make smart decisions. 

ladybugchick317
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
8 moms liked this

Pure dumb luck.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't have DS until I was 30 and married for 9 years. Birth control.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
I got put on birth control for my periods. I also used condoms.
AutumnLove14
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
4 moms liked this
Abstinence
o.O....
by Cara on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I wrapped that shit up and put myself on bc. My parents forbade sex and never talked about it- I did my research and was responsible for my own actions.
jslpruitt
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I didnt have sex, plus i didnt want a baby, i was a runner in hs i couldnt run while prego. alot of teen moms at my school,and i just didnt want that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)