Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Welfare and the Single Mother *Edit kinda*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
1 mom liked this

It appears to me most single mothers end up on welfare of some kind while their kids are in the home. Whether it be food stamps, cash aid or health care. I am a single mother of 10 years (my son is 10) who has never received any state/gov't support. I get less than $100 a month in child support (always have), have never been married, and have had no financial help from parents or anyone else. I've always just busted my ass to provide for the 2 of us and got on reliable BC so I didn't add a ton more kids to the picture. (I was a stupid irresponsible 18yo when I let myself get pregnant because of not taking the pill consistently)

So I think I'm not alone and that there are tons more women that have made it on their own, I just for some reason haven't seen much. So please step forward and comment if you or someone you know has been an independent single mama.

***Being that I posted in MC I should've expected that there would be a bunch of people coming in trying to stir up negativity and put myself and others down. I meant for this not to say that assistance is wrong because if your kids need food you do whatever you have to to get it and there's nothing wrong with that. But this post was to show me other mom's that have been in my shoes. I'm still young, it's nice to see success stories of other moms that have been there and made it because sometimes, yea, it's freakin hard. Is that such an atrocity? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Obligatory.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM

My son and I were on Medicaid for a few years while I was in school (his birth father was active duty Army but refused to cooperate in any way and wasn't paying child support). By the time he was 4 we were independent and I owned my own home.

caustinb
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom ;) lots of waitress shifts until she married my stepdad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM
3 moms liked this
You're not independent if you get Cs. That is financial help.

What kind of loser did you procreate with that after 10 years doesn't pay $100?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM
You've carried you and your child on your own insurance since 18?
MommyChance
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't get child support. I refused WIC but I did utilize Famis till my son was one. My son is six now, I work hard to provide a good life for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM

So you had the chance to use some PA program and are too proud to do it?

Hmm... good for you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Him paying cs has nothing to do with my ability to provide. I could be a millionaire and he's still legally required to pay cs, so no, it's not the same.

He was my hs sweetheart, I was 18, of course I didn't realize at that point he was a loser. There's a reason I'm not with him anymore.

Quoting Anonymous: You're not independent if you get Cs. That is financial help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM

single mom of 2

i get about $10K a month in alimony and CS

never received PA or any kind of welfare.  

i work freelance. i know my $10K will come to an end in about 7 years so I want to make sure I keep up with my resume and my skills.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
It's still financial help. So you're not independent.

Quoting Anonymous: Him paying cs has nothing to do with my ability to provide. I could be a millionaire and he's still legally required to pay cs, so no, it's not the same.

He was my hs sweetheart, I was 18, of course I didn't realize at that point he was a loser. There's a reason I'm not with him anymore.

Quoting Anonymous: You're not independent if you get Cs. That is financial help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)