Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Free or reduced school lunch

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

Mobile Photo

My son will be starting school this year and here is a list of food he's allergic to, I marked the ones he react to. Should I go ahead and pack lunches even though we qualify for free lunch, because eggs and wheat seems to be in alot of school food, and they serve milk with everything.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocamom
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I would contact the school and ask to talk to the people in the kitchen.  I would find out how they handle kids with allergies.  I know in my kids school we have MANY offerings per day for the kids.  They also get a choice of juice or milk with their lunches. 

GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I would pack for him. Schools make mistakes and you need to be proactive to protect your son's health.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:08 AM
I would pack lunch, but just call and see if they have ways to work around his allergies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Soy is virtually impossible for the school to avoid. I would pack myself.

If they have a salad bar, I would just pack a dressing for him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM
You could talk to the school to see how they could accommodatehis allergies. Honestly, though, his list is quite extensive and i think you are better off packing for him. It goes far beyond a reasonable accommodation. You would be asking the school to have a separate preparation area just for him - they may have the food arrive prepackaged.

As I said, talk to them. They may have many kids with allergies and already have arrangements in place. If they do not, it's not worth your son's well being to save the money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Knowing your son is practically allergic to food in general, you should pack his lunch every day. Allowing him to buy a school lunch in order to save a little bit of $$$ would be unfair to him and the school. You'd be putting him at risk, and putting the cafeteria workers in a terribly difficult position. If a child is allergic to just peanuts, or just milk, it's fairly easy to accommodate his or her needs. Your child's needs go way beyond what a school should be required to do in order to safely accommodate him, particularly when there is such a simple alternative. Pack his lunch.
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM
The school won't be able to accommodate him like you would. Pack his lunch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM
I'm going to pack. I hope he grows out of this one day.
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I'd pack too

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Definitely pack his lunch
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)