Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How Did You Rise Above?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
I will admit as a single mother, I haven't tried as hard to rise above my situation. When I got pregnant 4 years ago, I moved back home and ended up living with my parents again. They have been very support but also have encouraged me to use my single mom status as a crutch. For instance, they always tell me to tell people I'm a single mom so people have sympathy for me. I find that stupid.

Yet I just can't seem to get out of their house. I feel I try really hard only to keep getting knocked back down. I'm not proud to live with my parents or to be receiving food stamps. In the fall, I am getting married and would like to starr on a new path. I don't want to be working dead end jobs and struggle to make ends meet.

So without bashing, how did you rise above your single mom status? How did you put yourself on the right path? What steps dis you take? Again please no bashing. I need to get us out of this slump.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM
I think some probably looked at their kids and said " I'm going to do my best not to end up being a failure to them"
it helped that they got a job, some even two.
They worked their ass off to rise above and not become some type of single pity poor me type of moms.
Try it.
No bashing.
embrigmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Went to school and worked my ass off. Yeah the jobs were crap, fast food, day care, babysitting. Good luck.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Because my mother raised me to never use a crutch but to always seek a better life. And I did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM

attended college part time and worked, and raised my kids....it is what is and you do what you have to do...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM
It doesn't surprise me really they believe I should use a crutch. My parents are they type of people who'd rather pay someone then do things themselves.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Because my mother raised me to never use a crutch but to always seek a better life. And I did.

SamMom912
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:40 AM

The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan on how to do it and following the steps to get there... 

Make a plan. :) best of luck. 

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
maybe they should have paid someone to raise you so you would have had some role models

Quoting Anonymous: It doesn't surprise me really they believe I should use a crutch. My parents are they type of people who'd rather pay someone then do things themselves.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM
There must be job training available through welfare or some other state or federal agency. It should be free if you are on assistance. Consider taking a class that will certify you for something that will give you a step up and pay well above the minimum wage. I know here they offer nursing assistant,phlebotomy, welding, truck driving, day care certification, hair dressing, medical secretary, and many other things. Look into it. If your parents will provide daycare, that's half the battle. Most of the classes are a few months to a year long. Check into it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Why would they pay someone THEN do it themselves? Seems like a huge waste of money.

Quoting Anonymous: It doesn't surprise me really they believe I should use a crutch. My parents are they type of people who'd rather pay someone then do things themselves.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

elizabooks
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Apply at a temp agency. Thwy do skills tests to see what ypu can qualify for. If you are lackingbin a skill set apply at your local college for skills training.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)