Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teacher has sex with 18 year old student and is charged with a felony

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM
  • 11 Replies
A counselor at MacArthur High School in the Aldine ISD has been accused of having an improper relationship with an 18-year-old student who told his football coach he had sex with her more than once.

Ellen Wermeling, 32, is charged with improper relationship with a student, according to court documents in the case. County records show she is free on $10,000 bond.

The 18-year-old student told TV cameras Friday that the relationship was his decision.

"At the end of the day, I'm 18 and I'm an adult, and I'm going to make my own decisions," the unidentified teen told KHOU-TV. He said that the counselor had been helping him apply to college.

"The only thing that was wrong was that I am a student," he said.

Court documents state the student told a school football coach he and Wermeling had sex multiple times. School officials, who completed an administrative investigation, told authorities they found screen shots on Instagram indicating the boy had been to Wermeling's apartment near Midtown, gone with her to a nearby bar and spent the night at her apartment.

On March 6 and March 8, the documents state, the boy said they again had sex at her apartment.

School officials told police that Wermeling denied the allegations, according to the records.

Wermeling was permanently removed from the campus on March 24, Aldine ISD officials said.

-------
According to texas law its a felony because she was working at his high school. Had she been married to him or working at a different school it would be considered an inappropriate relationship.

So do you agree with the law?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I don't know what to say. He is an 'adult' but her behavior is so incredibly unprofessional. What 32yo woman wants an 18yo boy? She should have had the self control to stay away from students. As far as legality.. well, they are both adults.. but she should be fired because she's a total creep.

katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes she was in a position of authority at that school and even though he was *legally* an adult he was still a student at that school. If she truly wanted a relationship with him she should have waited until he was no longer a student in high school. Because she betrayed the trust her employer put in her she has no business working with children.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Yes.  Teachers have positions of power and influence over students. 

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM

If he is 18, why is his name hidden. I can agree that it is highly unethical, but I dont know that it should be illegal. I doubt it was only going on after his birthday though. I guess I dont know how to feel about it so, rules are rules.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Yes. Teachers are in a position of power. She should have waited till he was no longer a student.
tanyainmizzou
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM
It is the law. Wait until they graduate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Yes I agree with it. If they had any actual feelings for eachother they could have easily held off until he graduated. The law is in place to protect students.
sunsetchick34
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM
This

Quoting katyusha42: Yes she was in a position of authority at that school and even though he was *legally* an adult he was still a student at that school. If she truly wanted a relationship with him she should have waited until he was no longer a student in high school. Because she betrayed the trust her employer put in her she has no business working with children.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM

What? Isnt' 18 an adult and beyond the age of consent?  Or is it the relationship of teacher-student. 

Seems kind of crazy to charge her with a felony since the teen says it was consensual and he is of age. 

Still she's an idiot for having sex with an 18 year old student who is going to spread it ALL over the school, as he did. 

I knew a couple of teens who did this, though at least one of them waiting until the teacher-student relationship was over. 

BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I disagree with the law completely.  There shouldn't be any gray areas here.  He's 18, an adult, and the decision should be 100% up to him.  The prosecution is a huge waste of public funds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)