Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ringworm???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
So my SO's 2 kids have ringworm. The daughter came home with it Sunday from their moms, and the boy started it on his face yesterday.
Anyone deal with this? How serious is it? How contagious is it? What's the best treatment?

Anything you can think of that can help.
I don't want my son to get it!!! >.<
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM
BUMP!!
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Yes, it's contagious. It can be cleared up with an ointment that their pedi can prescribe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM
B
U
M
P
!
graciemae3215
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Get some lotrimin. Or any antifungal. It is a fungus. And, yes, it can spread.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM
This

Quoting graciemae3215: Get some lotrimin. Or any antifungal. It is a fungus. And, yes, it can spread.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM

The name makes it seem worse than it is.  Just put anti-fungal creme on it and it should go away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM
From what I understand it is no longer contagious after starting treatment but highly contagious otherwise.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM
He got the cream for his daughter Mon. It hasn't really gotten a lot better though. He just lost his job and has no medical insurance on his kids. So idk what he's going to do if they need to go to the Dr for this, but I'm going to be super pissed if me or my son get it.

Quoting graciemae3215: Get some lotrimin. Or any antifungal. It is a fungus. And, yes, it can spread.
GloryDaze
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:31 PM
This poster is correct when she says it's a fungus. I was just about to write the same thing when I saw her reply.

Many people believe it really is a "worm" in the epidermal layer of skin but it's not a worm at all. Just a fungus that got the name ring worm because when looking at it under microscope, it looks wormlike.

The doctor should prescribe a cream ointment called 'Ketoconazole' which you'll have to apply the the area twice daily for up to 14 days.

Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:41 PM
I know, it's just so gross and disgusting looking... and I don't want my son getting it.

Quoting GloryDaze: This poster is correct when she says it's a fungus. I was just about to write the same thing when I saw her reply.

Many people believe it really is a "worm" in the epidermal layer of skin but it's not a worm at all. Just a fungus that got the name ring worm because when looking at it under microscope, it looks wormlike.

The doctor should prescribe a cream ointment called 'Ketoconazole' which you'll have to apply the the area twice daily for up to 14 days.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)