Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would never get a dog from a shelter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 281 Replies
2 moms liked this

All of my dogs come from reputable breeders. I research extensively, go and visit where the dogs are, meet with the parents, get copies of all health testing/screening that had been done, etc. 

All my dogs are part of the family and it is very important that they are well bred and I know the background they come from. Plus they are all trained to do other things. My lab is a hunting dog. My Australian shepherd  our livestock, and my GSD is a trained protection dog.

Shelter dogs can be great for certain families but they can be a gamble temperament wise and health wise. You dont know their background, you dont know their genetics, and you dont know what they have experienced.  That is just to much of a risk for me when I need the dog for a specific purpose. 

I support my local shelter in other ways but I would not adopt a dog from them 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM
3 moms liked this

I have gotten animals from shelters and I have bought them from pet stores. I don't care where they come from as long as they are healthy

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
After our last dog we rescued from a shelter attacked my 7 month, never again.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Same. Might make an exception forna pup but not likely. The breeding and temperament of a an animal that has the capacity to kill a human is pretty dang important
greatwhiteshark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM
I got my chihuahua from a breeder. And I have also got dogs from shelters.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM

so would you buy a puppy from cane corso factory?  i wouldn't.

I used to do K9 with GSD, fun stuff.  i totally see the value in well-bred dogs.

RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this
We only get dogs from the shelter... But dh is an aco, and the one that rescues them in the first place!

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Because our kids are still young, we have only ever had puppies.  I will not adopt an older dog.  I would have adopted a shelter puppy, but there have never been any available when I have been looking for one.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:39 PM
17 moms liked this

I never have and never will pay for an animal. 

I will pay for their vet costs, which is what you are covering when you get an animal from the shelters.

I do not see my pets as status symbols.  I never have had a pure breed anything. I love my animals and they are part of my family.  I have never had a 'bad dog'.  I also stay away from certain breeds, not because I think they are bad, but because I don't want to take a chance.

My terrier mix definately has her own personality,

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:41 PM
I dont adopt from shelters either. I got my dog from a yardsale for free. Had her for almost 5 years. Best pup ive ever had.
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't adopt a dog. Our cats came from shelters and are perfectly healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)