Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Obamacare is going to cause me to go on food stamps or in a divorce *UPDATED*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 185 Replies

i have 3 jobs (teacher associate, nursing home, mary kay consultant) dh has one job, we have 3 kids. We live in a small town in rural Iowa (which we love) without many job opportunities.

My husband switched jobs because his other one was causing to much stress leading him to have health problems.. Unfortunately, his new job (small business) didn't come with insurance, just extra money to put towards insurance.. Not a big deal till I was denied insurance for "pre existing conditions" (all related to my pregnancies). We went a year with out insurance, my older two are on their dads insurance, my youngest went on Hawkeye insurance (insurance for kids, where parents pay according to income). In the year we didn't have insurance, I only paid $160 dollars out of pocket to see my Gyno once and chiropractor twice, luckily we had no other health issues that year.

Now, it is mandatory we have health insurance, which I can understand the need for insurance, it is very important.. But my family cannot afford $600 a month. I am on a very tight budget, we have no extras except internet and that is because I take college classes, I plan menus out and spend roughly $500 a month on food and Walmart items..

Every time it's time to pay insurance my dh and I argue, even though I try really hard to not let money issues get to me..

We've talked about Dh getting second job but then we wouldn't always have someone to watch the kids on weekends since I already work and it doesn't pay to work if I am paying sitter..

UPDATE

Things that keep coming up;

Yes, DH switched because he was having anxiety attacks and having to wear a heart monitor (sorry, that we thought his life was more important than money)

When he switched, we didn't realize that the insurance company would deny me coverage (before the new law took affect). I honestly only ever went to the Dr. for my pregnancies, the chiropractor to help headaches, and to get the very occasional anitbiotic for winter illnesses.. 

Yes, in Iowa we have a pretty low cost of living, and food cost is lower than many other places, however, our incomes are also a lot less than many other states. 

I am going to college to improve the opportunities that are available to me, but I already make a lot more than regular teacher associates because I work with children who have SEVERE behavioral disorders and I also work for a private company, I do not have a state job that gets benefits like some teachers do. 

Our expenses include:

Health Insurance $600 (for dh and I) 

Groceries/Household items $500-600 (family of 5)

Daycare $300-500 (depending on how often my mom works, she helps with babysitting)

Car- $ 300

Car Insurance $85 (two cars)

Electric $200 

Water $100

Life Insurance $30 (for the kids)

Cellphone $165 (two phones) 

Internet $50 

School Lunches $40 

Other debt we are paying off (credit card/hospital) $200 

*I get $200, a month for child support for 2 kids, we have shared custody so their dad sees them often, he also has a family/house to support and quite frankly I don't want his money*

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Get better jobs
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Iowa doesn't pay their teachers very well I take it? I hear ya, I'm in rural, BFE MT and there isn't much here. I can't wait to move so dh and I can have more job opportunities.

Good luck...hopefully you can find some affordable insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Should have thought about ALL of the consequences of him leaving his old job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM
7 moms liked this
Your family isn't the only one!

Obama has screwed alot of people!
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm not much for work opportunities where they live...sooo I'm not sure how they'll get better jobs. Oh now you'll say they should move. CM always has the answers.

Quoting Anonymous: Get better jobs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
If you didn't read in my post, it says there isn't any job opportunities, and I am going to college so I can get my teaching degree

StytchWytch
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
A friend of mine will end up having to pay over $800 a month for just her and her dd. She pays under $400 now.
ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM
6 moms liked this
Pay the fine. We own a business and make plenty but I am not paying out the ass for shitty coverage and high deductibles. The whole thing is a matter of principle, pay 600 a month okay but then we still have a 6000k deductible... That's very unhelpful
Momsold
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Why would you make your husband get a job?

Why don't YOU get one. 

If your husband found one so can you.

elfling811
by Niki on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM
And the answers are always simple. *rolls eyes*

Quoting Devious333: Hmmm not much for work opportunities where they live...sooo I'm not sure how they'll get better jobs. Oh now you'll say they should move. CM always has the answers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)