Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not Abuse?!?! Seriously?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
This was on my news feed this morning. I live in a suburb of Flint, about half an hour away, but it feels like a completely different world. Anyway, people were defending this and saying that it was not abuse. Those who watched the video (the thought of it made me ill) said that the boy was whipped between 58-66 times for "acting like a thug" on Facebook.

http://www.abc12.com/story/25172718/facebook-video-shows-possible-child-abuse-two-in-custody

FLINT (WJRT) -

(04/05/2014) - Flint Police reacted quickly once they got word of a Facebook video showing possible child abuse. The incident happened in the 3100 block of Kleinpell in the city of Flint.

The video, which ABC12 chooses not to share due to the age of the child and the content of the video, shows adults yelling at, slapping, and whipping a young boy with a belt.

In the video the boy claims to be 11 years old. Two of the adults in the video were referenced as his mother and his grandmother although there is no confirmation on the relationship between everyone involved.

The video lasts for six minutes and 23 seconds as the adults take turns yelling at and hitting the child.

According to the video, the boy is being punished for posting false information on Facebook.

Early Saturday afternoon Flint City Police posted on their Facebook page that they were investigating the situation with DHS.

ABC12 met up with Captain Collin Bernie with the Flint Police around 5:00 p.m. Saturday. At that time two people had already been taken into custody in connection to the incident, one man, 40, and one woman, 42.

The investigation is still on going. Both Flint Police and Child Protective Services are involved in the investigation.

ETA:

The Facebook page that reported it, a police blotter type page, has some interesting comments on it and has turned it into a race thing. It is pretty interesting, if drama that you are not involved in is something you find interesting.

https://m.facebook.com/flintpoliceops

Update:

All three involved have been arrested and are being charged.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
malibucj
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a fine line between spanking and abuse. This crosses that line many times over. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I don't think spanking is abuse. That said, I think this qualifies as abuse. Use of the belt, double teaming, taping it AND posting it publicly? That's insane.
MrsErdos2011
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM
It's definitely abuse but it doesn't surprise me that the investigation is still ongoing, even with evidence right in front of their faces.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM
BUMP
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Im not against spanking when needed and even agree that in an extreme case a belt may be warranted. (I have never felt the need to use one, but can't say i never will) this sounds like abuse. I wont watch the video, but the description is enough for me. Over 50 lashings, plus everything else? That is certainly abuse. Period.
PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Spanking is not abuse.

Using a belt and beating a child with it (or something similar), however, IS abuse.

That is horrible. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Personally, spanking doesn't jive with my parenting beliefs, but I know that it is still legal. I can't see how anyone could ever think that this is ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM
What is really crazy is the "mom" has video on her Facebook of her smoking a bong, threatening people, cursing up a storm and posing skanky, yet, the kid was beaten for "acting like a thug".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)