Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Children learning to hunt! Updated to add two more reasons.

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM
  • 409 Replies
88 moms liked this

I think it is absurd that so many people think eating wild game and/or teaching children to hunt is such an awful thing. There are so many benefits to it. Both for the child and the family. 

1. Using a firearm/bow safely and hunting are very useful skills. Not only will someone be able to feed themselves and other people if it becomes necessary, they will also be able to defend themselves and others safely if needed. 

2. The women on here are always bashing women for feeding their families "junk." Well, there is nothing more organic than wild game that you hunt, kill and process yourself. It's incredibly healthy with no steroids, hormones or antibiotics. My sister, cousins and I grew up on wild game and farm animals and not one of us entered puberty/started our periods before 12 years old. Our bodies weren't tricked into becoming women at seven because of our food. 

3. Everyone on here is so big on supplementing food budgets and saving money. Eating wild game saves us thousands a year in our food budget. In my freezer right now is venison, duck, turkey, squirrel, catfish, bass, boar and frog legs. None of it purchased from a store. I've also at one time or another had rattlesnake, turtle, alligator, bear, elk and other things in there. 

4. Kids taught firearm safety and hunting at a young age are less likely to kill someone with a gun than kids who only see guns on TV and in movies. They understand how dangerous firearms can be. 

Update:  At the request of other members here are two more benefits:

5. Conservation. If certain animals were not hunted then their populations would grow so large that they would overrun us. Many of them would starve. I know in certain areas there are so many wild boars that they don't even really have a season anymore and no limits on how many you can get. 

6. Exercise. Walking, climbing, tracking, running are all good forms of exercise. And depending on the game you are hunting you might end up doing all of them. 

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM
6 moms liked this
You speak the truth.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Agreed,  all  our kids love hunting. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM
12 moms liked this

I prefer to teach my children things like algebra equations and the principles of physics, so that they may be able to do well in school, get into a good college, graduate with honors and seek and find gainful employment that pays well enough that they will never have to concern themselves with barbaric, backward practices that drag humanity back down into the sludge from which we came.

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. Skills that will benefit them in the long run! 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Preach!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. It's a money saver. And yes it is good skills to know. I just let these know it all's talk. You and I know this. It's just another thing for these women to bitch and complain about. Cuz they don't have anything better to do.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:11 PM
5 moms liked this
I agree. In case of a zombie apocalypse I want my son to be prepared. 😁

Plus it tastes better when its fresh.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM
9 moms liked this
Lol, and you think we don't?

Quoting Anonymous:

I prefer to teach my children things like algebra equations and the principles of physics, so that they may be able to do well in school, get into a good college, graduate with honors and seek and find gainful employment that pays well enough that they will never have to concern themselves with barbaric, backward practices that drag humanity back down into the sludge from which we came.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree! I wish I could hunt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM

My husband is a hunter.  I like going to the shooting ranges.  We have three children and my husband wants to take the kids out pretty young...I am not comfortable with that. I said to him, it's not the number (age) but it is the maturity level and fully understanding to reason and getting the concept of it.  So, we have a bit of a disagreement when it comes to when to take the kids hunting/shooting. We have guns in the house, they are locked up and the ammunition is of course separate from the guns in another hidden place.  Kids know they are dangerous but haven't been taught the safety aspects just yet.  They are 2, 4 & 6.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN