Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To call out or not call out my rude niece!!!

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM
  • 113 Replies
I am 43 and have a 24 yr old niece who I had always felt close to. As a teen she started to change and not be as sweet and nice. She became moody, bitchy, and very sarcastic at times.....taking her stress out on others, including myself. I attribute some of the blame on her untreated manic depressive alcoholic mom (who is my sister) And a stressful home environment. I have made efforts to stay close to my niece by inviting her to the movies regularly and she started to blow me off, so now I don't ever invite her to hang out with just me. She is also terrible at responding to text messages. She takes forever to get back to me if she gets back at all. I know that she is a busy girl, but it only takes a damn minute to respond to a text!!! I think it's incredibly rude of her. Also, we were at a family event last night and I was showing pics of my wedding. She blurts out loudly, "your bridesmaids dresses are ugly." My mouth dropped open by her ignorant comment!! Now keep in mind that I got married in 1988 so the styles were very different back then. And I thought they were very pretty and still do!! I am tired of this girl being rude and ignorant. I think that she is like that with other people too, not just me! I am considering calling her out on her rude and hurtful behavior!! Would you if you were me?? It's really a shame but I loved this girl and wanted to have a close relationship with her, but her bitchiness is making me not like her so much anymore and it's pushing me away. I feel sad about it. I'm just not sure how I should handle this........speak up to her or let it go and have a more distant relationship!!
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:35 AM
5 moms liked this
I would have no problem putting my own niece or nephew in their place.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:36 AM

She will just go on the defensive and hate you if you call her out. I would just stop associating with her until her attitude adjusts.

Short_cake88
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:36 AM
4 moms liked this

Call her ass out!!! She's not just your niece, she's an ADULT. Shut that crap down

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

call her out

and

let me see the pic!!

ivy801
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell her than walk away, you might have to let her deal with herself until she matures if ever.
Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Call her out,
she might not give a single fuck,
but hey! Do it!
misskriss10
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I would just distance myself. It sounds like calling her out will just cause drama. I don't think it will change her behavior at all.
alc4evermom
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's ok to tell her that she is rude. She probably gets away with it because people let her. However, you are also expecting her to act your age emotionally so it's only natural that she isn't relating to you in a lot of ways. I called my aunts curtains ugly----they were diarrhea green, but should have kept my mouth shut. It hurt her feelings.
partygal19dani
by Danielle on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM
This is what I am concerned about......that she will get defensive and somehow turn it around and make me be the bad guy!! She is quick to get on the defense!

Quoting Anonymous:

She will just go on the defensive and hate you if you call her out. I would just stop associating with her until her attitude adjusts.

grnhsegoddess
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM
3 moms liked this
Maybe she doesn't like to hang out with you as much as you like to hang out with her? My sister bugs my daughter wanting to do this and that, but my girl doesn't want to hang with her aunt so she kind of ignores calls and texts. She doesn't want to be outright rude and be like, leave me the hell alone and go find friends your own age' so that's how she handles it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)