Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I paying my Pastor's salary? **UPDATED**X2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 482 Replies

Is anyone familiar with how a Pastor gets paid? I often wonder this because at my church the Pastor receives a salary and lives in a house owned by the church, which I know is common, BUT, Is that salary/house paid for by the givers at church? They have monthly meetings about the finances of the church but only members AND regular "givers" are allowed to attend. Majority of the people that attend the church probably aren't in a position to really donate much to the church so I wonder how all of this gets paid for. That being said, our Pastor can be pretty aggressive when it comes to bringing in new members. My husband doesn't attend the church but the Pastor is always (every week) asking to get together with him. My husband says the fact that the pastor is trying to meet is because he needs more members/money and that is his job. My husband grew up being really involved in church and now feels that he doesn't need church to have a relationship with God. He thinks some churches are just out for money. My husband kind of makes me question things because I always feel obligated to give at church. I usually feel guilty if I don't or feel like I'm not giving enough.They do fundraisers just by asking you to donate more money. I understand churches need money, but I wonder if the attempt to meet with people is to really want to know them, or is it for financial gain for the church? Anyone have any insight on this?

***UPDATE***  I didn't realize this was going to be such a hot topic! Here is an answer to a lot of questions I see repeated-

First, It's a non-denominational Christian church.

The church is very small and the pastor is new. He seems to know everyone personally. Apparently when he came in, a lot of people left. I have no idea why but I do wonder why.

They have service 2 days a week, aside from that, I'm not sure what he does. He talks in church almost every sunday about meeting with friends and things he's done with his family but that's the only insight I have on "what else" he does.  

He is the only pastor. No one else gets paid.

He makes a lot of jokes about offerings and I think that's why I'm questioning it. I also know that at the end of service the offerings are sort of made to be a big deal in the sense of they will start "worship" and pray for people to give. I'm not sure if this is traditional, this is kind of new to me.

As far as membership, I haven't become a member because you have to go through this "class" and I just haven't had time to do it yet. Supposedly, they give you paperwork and things to fill out during the class, what else goes on, I'm really not sure. 

UPDATE 2: I haven't had an opportunity to read all of these responses but what I have seen I feel like I need to add a couple things- I don't see much going on at church besides the 2 services. The youth program is run the same day as services by another person. There are at least 4 other people that work there that I know of that do not get paid. It's a very small church and not many members at all. I think in part what makes me a little unsure of things is the pastor is VERY open, maybe too open at times and maybe not about all the right things, but he acts very real, he doesn't hide his wrongdoings or when he's having a bad day, etc. I can handle it but sometimes it does catch me off guard, like you wouldn't expect some things to come out of a pastor's mouth. He wants to get to know my family on a very personal level and while I appreciate that, it also makes me a little nervous. As far as giving money to the church, I have no reservations there. But, 10% of my income? No way I could afford that. I guess my issue with the financial part of it is I almost feel guilty, like I'm not giving enough. Maybe it's because of all the jokes and how much it's stressed that has made me feel insecure? I don't know.  I don't like the whole envelope thing that requests my information either, why do they need to know exaclty how much I'm giving every week? In addition, I don't feel like I should be told how to get the money to give to the church (some suggestions were made by the pastor during service, some were said jokingly but there clearly was some truth behind the jokes). It sort of turned me away a bit. I just feel lost and confused with all of this. I've never experienced this before in church. I REALLY like the pastor but wonder if maybe I'm seeing another side?  Is this typical for this type of church?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:12 AM
If you are a member then go to a meeting.

And yes pastors salaries are paid by offerings. They don't make much, barely enough to live on, and the church still has to pay it's bills. Churches also give money to various charities.

Some churches get money from the government too.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM
3 moms liked this
Of course that's the way Pastors get paid, lol. Go to the meeting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:14 AM
9 moms liked this
Yes that's how they get paid. Personally I don't believe pastors should be paid for what they do. But that's my opinion and it's all it is.
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:17 AM
It's true.
thelonebuffalo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Go to a meeting. I know our church pays the pastors salary. We have a meeting every January where they give us the budget, go over it with us and we all vote to pass or deny it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Do you think the desire to meet my husband is for financial gain? My husband thinks it is. I guess for me I felt that he just wanted to meet him but now wonder if maybe it is to bring in another member. 

Quoting Anonymous: If you are a member then go to a meeting. And yes pastors salaries are paid by offerings. They don't make much, barely enough to live on, and the church still has to pay it's bills. Churches also give money to various charities. Some churches get money from the government too.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:22 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous: Yes that's how they get paid. Personally I don't believe pastors should be paid for what they do. But that's my opinion and it's all it is.

I'm curious, if you don't think they should be paid how do you think they should earn money to pay for things like housing, transportation, clothing, etc?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM
10 moms liked this
Who do you think pays his salary? God?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Not everyone gives an offering. I doubt it's because he wants more money. His salary is a set amount, and very little. Some.make as little as $7,000 per year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you think the desire to meet my husband is for financial gain? My husband thinks it is. I guess for me I felt that he just wanted to meet him but now wonder if maybe it is to bring in another member. 

Quoting Anonymous: If you are a member then go to a meeting.

And yes pastors salaries are paid by offerings. They don't make much, barely enough to live on, and the church still has to pay it's bills. Churches also give money to various charities.

Some churches get money from the government too.

Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:25 AM
8 moms liked this

How else would it be paid for?  Manna from heaven?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)