Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you say if your young son asked to have his ears pierced?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  • 144 Replies

Should Little Boys Have Pierced Ears?

by Adriana Velez

pierced earsIt can be a big dilemma when your little girl wants her ears pierced. But what do you do when your son asks to have his ears pierced? Little boys ... with earrings! Are we ready for that? Apparently this is something boys are asking for at a younger age. Maybe it's a trickle-down influence from pirate Jack Sparrow -- or maybe it's some other cultural phenomenon we parents are totally clueless about. But it's bound to throw even the most open-minded parent. My friend's 9-year-old son recently asked to have his ears pierced, and this is how she handled it.

Linda wasn't that surprised because her son likes to "adorn" himself anyway. He wears rings on his fingers and sometimes a necklace or two. Still, when Z asked for earrings, she wanted to think about it, and she wanted him to think about it as well.

When she and her husband talked it over, they came to the conclusion that if their son really wanted his ears pierced, it would just be fair to say yes. Why? Because his sister's ears are pierced. Why enforce a double standard for ear-piercing?

Linda's daughter had her ears pierced, for cultural reasons, when she was 4 years old. And she loves her earrings. Gender equality is important to this whole family. So Linda is letting Z sit with the idea for a while. "If he asked again, we wouldn't hold him back if that's what he wanted to do."

It helps that they home-school, so Z isn't likely to get harassed by other kids or teachers. The important thing is that their son give the idea some serious thought, first. They're not making this decision on a whim. 

I think that's pretty reasonable. I hadn't thought of it that way before -- if you're willing to pierce a girl's ears, you should be willing to pierce your son's as well, if they want it. And who knows -- maybe this will become fairly commonplace in a few years.

What would you say if your young son asked to have his ears pierced?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

DH and I have 4 boys and one girl. THANKFULLY, our boys all think earrings belong on girls only! Our DD has her ears pierced and loves them!! So happy this is a non-issue for us! 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM
DS hasn't asked. I think I'd want to say no, but I know I wouldn't say no to a daughter. Hmmm... I guess I would consider it.
tapies2324
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Id tell him he had to wait until he was 14..just like i did. That was easy.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't care, but my DH would never allow it.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM

If they ask for it, then ok.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM
I had two sons long before my daughter came along. Our rule with all of them; if they are responsible enough to take care of them, they can get their ears pierced. My oldest has his ears pierced, second passed and the girl is only 1.

I wasn't about to allow a double standard in my home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM
If he wanted it we would do it. Ear piercing isn't just for girls.
Patti-Gee
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I said YES both times.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM

It would be a non issue for us.  My son plays sports year round and they are not allowed to wear any jewelery of any type when playing due to it being a safety issue. 

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I would explain to them that they have to take care of them, I would explain in detail about what could happen if they did not take care of them (infection etc).  If they still wanted them done I would go onto Tiffanys website and have them pick out some awesome earrings! 

My 4 year old dd has been asking about getting them done, I think this summer she may want them for sure.  I can't wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN