Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL tantrums! Come and vent!

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:39 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I have never understood why my MIL has to be so very difficult. Granted, she lives far away from us and comes twice a year. She stays for about a month. She doesn't even stays in our home but in her elder parents home. We try, so hard to accommodate her into our lives, since she is never around. I hate her ways of complaining we "never" give her time, but finding any excuse to not do things with us. Sunday we invited her to San Francisco, she said no. She said she didn't feel like it, and instead we should go and invite ourselves to her sister's house where she had asked her to make her a meal. We said ok, go ahead with your sister, we'll invite you other time. So, my husband thought if his mom didn't want to go, he was going to invite his father anyway, since his mom didn't even care to ask for his opinion. His father said yes. So he asked to be picked up from the house he was (not the same house as MIL) he was visiting a cousin. So we picked him up and bring him home with us. She find out he was at our home and called us, and demanded that he had to go and sleep with her. So me and my husband drop him off, not a problem since they live 10 away. My MIL tells my FIL that he "can't decide what to do on his own" so finally, he says he is going with us to the city in the morning and tells my husband to pick him up. Mind she is ALWAYS trying to change our plans. And gratefully my husband never lets her. So we go in the morning to pick up FIL and she announces she is coming with us. My husband asks her "what happened with the invitation she insisted her sister would do?" She says, "I will call her later and tell her Im not going" so my husband insists that she calls right then. She refuses. We get to S Fco. and we had bought tickets for a museum. Right before the entrance she says "I don't want to go in because I don't like museums" we are standing there like idiots, had to move aside the line, to try to convince her that we have tickets on hand and is too late to not go in. She says she and FIL aren't happy and they wont go in. My FIL Is mad at her. Telling her that he DOES want to go in and to quit acting up. She says that she doesn't feel like going in anymore. The person by the door hears everything and tells us if we want a refund, she'll authorize it. So my husband said yes we want a refund. She has the biggest smile ever. Our daughters are so bummed. My husband goes to the register and ask for a refund for ONE TICKET. He left her outside, while our 3 daughters, my FIL, him and me went in. He told her it would take us 4 hrs to finish, gave her a cel phone and told her to have fun. She was in total disbelief! And so was I. But my husband was pretty mad she is always wanting to change plans and doesn't consider anyone else feelings but her own. When we got out we were hungry and we walked by an Indian restaurant. We love Indian food, and my FIL was excited to try out some lamb dishes. Well, she announced we should go home (1.5 hr drive) and eat at the house of the sister who she had set up before. I said absolutely no, because our daughters were hungry then. So she said she didn't like indian food. Without waiting for further tantrums we went in. She stood outside for 30 min. And then she came in and announced she was cold but she wasn't going to eat anything. We offer her a chair. And she ended up eating a lot, it seemed like she liked it. Well she went home and told EVERYONE how we had left her outside for hours and how we didn't want to feed her and left her outside like a dog! Omg! Luckily, our FIL told everyone her tantrums! Why does she has to be this difficult!!!!?
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WinterIsComing
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Well, bravo to your husband!

Maybe next time she will just stay back and not interrupt everyone's fun.

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM
WoW!!!! She is totally nuts! Thank God your dh doesn't put up with it! Has she always been like that?I mean while dh was growing up? Or is this new for her as she gets older?

I am divorced now but my MIL was a nightmare. She never took her hooks out of her son, so when she was awful to me he just stood by and let her. He always took her side and would get mad at ME when I stood up to her. In fact she encouraged him to divorce me, as I wasn't good enough for him in her eyes. Now she treats me with respect. IDK why she changed her tune. Perhaps it's because she realized how wrong she was about me. I am just relieved I don't have to deal with her on a daily basis anymore.
DensHag
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Why does FIL stay married to her? She is a total pain in the ass. Good for your DH!!!!
shaye
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Agreed. Your husband sounds like a good man.

Quoting WinterIsComing:

Well, bravo to your husband!

Maybe next time she will just stay back and not interrupt everyone's fun.

CafeMom Tickers
okeydokie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Wow. .. just, Wow.
ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM

wow... good for not giving into her though. thats nuts.

shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM

OMG, she sounds crazy! I have no problems with my MIL thankfully...oh other than she is a terrible driver. Not dangerous terrible but she has a few strange annoying habits...lol

two4one
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Good for your FIL for standing up to her. Sounds like he's tired of her shit too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM

MIL's ugh you can def live without them!! lol

good for your husband, thats great! I have issues with my MIL for years and there is so much resentment and i have to see her all the time and smile. my DH would never stick up for me hes all about him and his mom, i have thought about divorce many times, and one day it may just happen! anything not to deal with this woman!!!

your lucky your spouse and FIL are on your side and she lives far away, i wish!!!

flaquitabss
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM
My husband says that before (like when he was a teen) she was a very happy person... But then she just changed. I don't know, I have always known she is difficult but its getting worse indeed. She isn't that old. She will be 60 next year

Quoting BekahBrownEyes: WoW!!!! She is totally nuts! Thank God your dh doesn't put up with it! Has she always been like that?I mean while dh was growing up? Or is this new for her as she gets older?

I am divorced now but my MIL was a nightmare. She never took her hooks out of her son, so when she was awful to me he just stood by and let her. He always took her side and would get mad at ME when I stood up to her. In fact she encouraged him to divorce me, as I wasn't good enough for him in her eyes. Now she treats me with respect. IDK why she changed her tune. Perhaps it's because she realized how wrong she was about me. I am just relieved I don't have to deal with her on a daily basis anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)