Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SSI Abuse

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 160 Replies

So in the same vein of welfare posts, my latest frustration is with families receiving SSI for their school age child while on a medical card. 

If you are on a medical card- then your medical bills are covered. I know some rare treatments or newer drugs are sometimes not covered, so those would be exceptions. 

If your child is school age, then you don't need to be home to provide care. If you need a break here and there or are working a few hours in the evening, you qualify for respite care.

In having a child, you should be prepared to provide food, shelter, basic needs, etc.  So you shouldn't need SSI to take care of your child.  You should be prepared to take care of your child.  

I'm particularly frustrated with parents I've worked with lately. It takes a long time to fill out the paperwork when a parent requests SSI.  I've had parents flat out lie- we need SSI for a hearing issue- when the child has never failed a hearing test.  Last week a mom called and asked us to move her child into a special needs classroom because they had been denied SSI and "if he was in that room, we'd be more likely to qualify don't you think?"  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this
So what you're saying is you have no idea what additional costs are with special needs children, even if both parents work?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Please feel free to share- my SN son's costs are typically less than my "normal" son's expenses.  

Quoting Anonymous: So what you're saying is you have no idea what additional costs are with special needs children, even if both parents work?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
He must not have any specialized equipment, expensive life-sustaining drugs or therapies then? My DDs therapy is $120/hour.

Quoting Anonymous:

Please feel free to share- my SN son's costs are typically less than my "normal" son's expenses.  

Quoting Anonymous: So what you're saying is you have no idea what additional costs are with special needs children, even if both parents work?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Is that not covered by your medical card? My insurance covers all but a small portion of our therapy, we average between $45 and $200 out of pocket for each visit.  The other families at our service center pay nothing- their fees are covered by their cards.  

I did acknolwedge that some high priced drugs aren't covered in my original post.  We only have one drug that isn't covered, runs us $200 every six months. 

Quoting Anonymous: He must not have any speciaIlized equipment, expensive life-sustaining drugs or therapies then? My DDs therapy is $120/hour.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: So what you're saying is you have no idea what additional costs are with special needs children, even if both parents 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Moochers are going to mooch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

My son is tube fed.  Both my husband and I work full time and have insurance on the kids.  Yet neither insurance will cover his tube feed supplies.  The bags are $600 per box and one box lasts a month.  He has a special formula that costs almost $1500 a month.  The rental for the tube feeding pump is $75 a month.  The replacement tubes are $500 and we do that 4x a year.  Because of the cost we ended up also applying for a special wavier to get Medicaid to cover this.  Not what we wanted to do but we had no choice.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this
You have no idea the expenses of a child that needs SSI. Not everything is covered by Medicaid. Not even close.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Your situation sounds totally justified. I'm sure like me you feel frustration that you pay for insurance, and then insurance doesn't cover what your child medically needs.  

Quoting Anonymous:

My son is tube fed.  Both my husband and I work full time and have insurance on the kids.  Yet neither insurance will cover his tube feed supplies.  The bags are $600 per box and one box lasts a month.  He has a special formula that costs almost $1500 a month.  The rental for the tube feeding pump is $75 a month.  The replacement tubes are $500 and we do that 4x a year.  Because of the cost we ended up also applying for a special wavier to get Medicaid to cover this.  Not what we wanted to do but we had no choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Please, share your experience. I'm glad to learn of situations that are different than mine.  I've responded about some of our out of pocket expenses.  

There's also a large difference between folks like the poster above whose sons needs expensive treatment, versus a family who has a child with ADHD and claim they need SSI.  

Quoting Rust.n.Gears: You have no idea the expenses of a child that needs SSI. Not everything is covered by Medicaid. Not even close.

Rhodin
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM
4 moms liked this
DD4 will need essentially babysat the rest of her life. We put a portion of the SSI money aside every month in a trust so her little sisters won't have to foot the bill or care for her themselves.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)