Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My step daughter won't even come visit her father because she would have to share a room

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 313 Replies
1 mom liked this
My step daughter is 17. She lives 2 hours away with her mom. Recently, DH and I hit a financial rough patch because he was fired after being convicted of a DUI and we had to move into a small one bedroom condo. We have been married for a year, and we gave my two sons the master bedroom, including a bed for SD, while we sleep in the living room. Luckily, you enter the apartment into the kitchen and we were able to add a door of shorts, but it is cramped.

SD now refuses to visit. She said it's "weird" to share a room with a 16yo and 8 yo boy and she's "uncomfortable". DH thinks she's punishing him for his DUI and is heartbroken over her refusing to come see him. She won't make the drive for the day because she says it's "ridiculous" to drive 4 hours for a short visit, and DH's license is suspended so he can't go see her, and we can't really afford the trip anyhow.

She's always struck me as a bit of a princess and this isn't helping with that. Her mom is a snobby b*tch and apparently gloats and laughs about her ex's financial situation now.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM
12 moms liked this

Your DH sounds like a great catch.

momeraide
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM
29 moms liked this
I would not want to sleep in the same room with my 16 year old step brother either if I were a 17 year old girl.
momeraide
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM
9 moms liked this
Put yourself in her shoes. Go back to 17, would YOU want to share a room, even if it's for a day or two, with a 16 year old BOY?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM
I wouldn't be comfortable also. You can't drive the family to visit her? Must be difficult to be in this situation.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:02 PM
I wouldn't want to sleep there either. She'll be an adult soon anyways so it doesn't matter.
jujubear1
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't want to share a room with teenage boys either. Can you drive your dh to go visit? Or meet her halfway. I won't even go into what I think of the dui because what's done is done, but I do hope he learned his lesson.
jessw2010
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM
8 moms liked this
Umm it is weird for a 17 yr old girl to have to share a room with a 16 yr old boy and if you can't afford the trip, then why would you expect her to?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Quoting KayelynnsMama: I can't say I blame her... and in some states it is illegal for non biological children of the opposite sex to share a room.

No, it is not illegal. Where do you people come up with this stuff??

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM
We can't afford the gas right now. When we can, I would be happy to.

Quoting Anonymous: I wouldn't be comfortable also. You can't drive the family to visit her? Must be difficult to be in this situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM
5 moms liked this
That's weird. If the SB were younger then I could maybe see it but not at those ages. I wouldn't even allow it as the BM.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)