Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you had to pick between antidepressants or breastfeeding wwyd

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 151 Replies
dd is 3 months, I understand that some medication is safer when breastfeeding but nothing is ever 100% safe and id be afraid of the long term effects. so would you take the medicine or continue to breastfeed?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:31 AM
3 moms liked this
If mommy is not happy and feeling stressed, angry, or depressed baby feels it so it is better to have a happy healthy mommy in my opinion.
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:32 AM

St Johns Wort, which is an herbal remedy.  You can take FENUGREEK to increase your supply so that you can bank some in the refrigerator and make it to a year on breastmilk.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Take the medicine.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:33 AM
I had to choose. After I had my youngest I started getting terrible and frequent migraines from the hormone fluctuations. My doc put me on antidepressants to control them. I felt I had to, I couldn't function because of those migraines.
lmh88
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:33 AM
This is what I was thinking. I feel like being a depressed mommy can be dangerous.

Quoting Anonymous: If mommy is not happy and feeling stressed, angry, or depressed baby feels it so it is better to have a happy healthy mommy in my opinion.
Sara1218
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Some antidepressants are safe while breastfeeding, Zoloft and Prozac are two of them. The research is pretty sound. If I "had" to choose, it would be dependent upon how bad the depression was.
doulala
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:35 AM

There might be several options.     Checking into meds that are suitable during BFing, or other remedies.     Pumping for a while (few months maybe) and building up storage.   Getting donated milk and adjusting asap.

Where are you on all of this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:35 AM
I would breastfeed and take the medication, but at this point I am depressed and breastfeeding. I'm not on medication. If something happened and I had to choose I would choose breastfeeding. I'm nursing two kids and one of them is only a few months old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newbieann
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Antidepressants. Happy mom=happy baby. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Antidepressants. Without them, I tried to kill myself... I'd honestly be afraid what I would do if my mindset gets really bad. :-(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN