Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fevers

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:48 AM
  • 12 Replies

About 2 weeks ago a mom posted where she took her baby in for a fever,many were saying she was wrong because they felt the baby did not have a fever.

My son who is 18YO was in the ER tonight because of a seizure,the discharge papers  said to bring him back for a fever of 100.4 or higher. A fever did not bring on this seizure,I just found this interesting b/c for me  seeing these numbers would not have me running to the ER.

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saywatuwill
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM
Weird. Typically a fever has to 've in the 106 range for it to be a danger.
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM
Yah, my son was in the ER once when he was 3. His temp was 106 at discharge. I asked when they recommended me bring him back and they said at 103. Um, hello! It's 106 now!

But you say your son is 18? Adults don't handle fevers as well as children do.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't care what any of these twat waffles say......I take my kids and grandkids to their Pediatricians office if their temperature is 101 or higher and after the office is closed we go to the ER. I pay for my insurance and I will do what I damn well please.....regardless of what anyone else thinks. I almost lost my youngest son a few years years due to strep throat/pneumonia and that made me even more paranoid that I already was. SO ..........I am one of those moms that will run to the doctor at the drop of a hat. Better safe than sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:38 AM
If he had a seizure that's why they have you watching for low grade fevers. My younger daughter had febrile seizures and if we saw any sign of even a slight fever we had to medicate and get it under control before she seized.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:44 AM
Seizures can be brought on by a fever, if you get seizures. Most people don't get seizures, so a low grade fever is nothing. If your child starts having a seizure, then he or she should most definitely be taken to the ER. Then, you would also need to worry about low fevers.
Robin-Christine
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

My son did not have  a fever and he is 18YO, His seizures are from the brain damaged brought on by his strokes.

Quoting Anonymous: Seizures can be brought on by a fever, if you get seizures. Most people don't get seizures, so a low grade fever is nothing. If your child starts having a seizure, then he or she should most definitely be taken to the ER. Then, you would also need to worry about low fevers.

Robin-Christine
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

My son has a history of seizures because of his strokes when he was an infant. This seizure was not fever related and he is 18YO

Quoting Anonymous: If he had a seizure that's why they have you watching for low grade fevers. My younger daughter had febrile seizures and if we saw any sign of even a slight fever we had to medicate and get it under control before she seized.

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I never take my kids to the dr or ER for just a fever unless i cant get it down myself.....and that has only happened once when they were about 3 months old.  One of them was running 103 and wouldnt come down.  Otherwise i will just use motrin.  Most times its just a virus they cant do anything about anyway.  

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM

101.4 is my doctors magic number. We call if it hits that and they see her in after hour care if it's not during normal hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:32 PM
You don't need to have a fever to have a seizure, but fevers are a trigger.

Quoting Robin-Christine:

My son did not have  a fever and he is 18YO, His seizures are from the brain damaged brought on by his strokes.

Quoting Anonymous: Seizures can be brought on by a fever, if you get seizures. Most people don't get seizures, so a low grade fever is nothing. If your child starts having a seizure, then he or she should most definitely be taken to the ER. Then, you would also need to worry about low fevers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)