Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Holy Rental Furniture!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM
  • 136 Replies
New neighbors moved in last week. They bought a house across the street. We live on an island, only 40 houses, so everything is observed. I noticed a huge Rent A Center truck pull up and it was full. Took over an hour for them to unload. (I was gardening)

Then a few days later, another rental company truck showed up with more furniture.

Yesterday I was taking my grandson for a walk in the stroller and I stopped to say hello to the new neighbors. The wife opened up like a locked up genie in a bottle. Started telling me their life story. (Btw, this happens to me all the time)

She said that they wanted to buy the house, sold all of their belongings to get the down payment. Now they are renting their furniture and appliances. The entire house us rented belongings. They are paying $3200 a month for everything!!!! She had to pick up a second job and her husband is trying to find side work as a plumber.

I could not imagine owning a house would be worth all of that!
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh my. That's crazy. I think I'd rather have the bare minimum and pay it off a little at time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Me neither that's crazy to me. Why would you rent the furniture instead of just opening a line of credit at a furniture store? They have to be paying a ridiculous amount of interest on that rent to own furniture.
autiemama516
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I would rather go to the Salvation Army and buy second hand than Aarons or RAC. But thats just me. They sound stupid but their life their choice I guess.

southern.momof2
by Pirate on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Holy crap! That's crazy!
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Me too. They stocked the whole house, 4 bedrooms, ect.

Quoting LilysMama719: Oh my. That's crazy. I think I'd rather have the bare minimum and pay it off a little at time.
MrsNewman
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:15 AM
3 moms liked this
Renting furniture is crazy expensive and you end up paying twice as much for it.
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Yikes--if you have to seel all your pocessions for a down payment THEN take on 4 jobs between the two of you--You can't afford to buy a house!  This is what is wrong with people--I want what I want when I want it.  What ever happened to living within your means?  Geesh.

jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont know. I would buy used furniture.

Quoting Anonymous: Me neither that's crazy to me. Why would you rent the furniture instead of just opening a line of credit at a furniture store? They have to be paying a ridiculous amount of interest on that rent to own furniture.
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Thats what I thought. Haven't ever looked into it but I heard it is way more expensive.

Quoting MrsNewman: Renting furniture is crazy expensive and you end up paying twice as much for it.
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:17 AM
7 moms liked this
Why doesn't she just not spend 3200 a month on rented furniture and spend 3200 a month furnishing one room at a time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)