Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should "controversial" flyers, etc., be allowed in school?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM
  • 23 Replies

Dad Upset With School for Telling Kids About Easter Event

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

easter bunnyA dad in Michigan is upset that the school his two children, ages 7 and 9, attend handed out flyers for an Easter egg hunt "Eggstravaganza!" Majed Moughni said that it "really bothered" his kids when they received the colorful invitation at school, which advertised the event that took place at a local Presbyterian Church. "My son was like, 'Dad, I really don't feel comfortable getting these flyers, telling me to go to church. I thought churches are not supposed to mix with schools,'" Moughni said.

And his son has a point. Whatever happened to that whole church and state thing?

Moughni, a Muslim, says that he greatly respects Christianity but doesn't think schools should promote events related to religious holidays. He said he would oppose flyers that promoted events at mosques as well. Many have commented that Moughni is overreacting (along with some other truly disturbing and close-minded sentiments; peruse the comments sections, if you dare). But do "controversial" organizations, like churches, political parties, or gun advocates, have any business handing out flyers in school? The people on the receiving end are children, for crying out loud. And they're in school when receiving them. Shouldn't the choices of when and how to introduce and handle these things be up to the parents at this stage in the game?

Some may argue that we live in the land of the overly sensitive these days -- and maybe we do -- but I'd like to ask those same people how they'd feel if their children brought home a flyer that was distributed at school for an event at a mosque. I could be wrong, but I certainly can't see the person who said, "Hey if he and his kids are offended so be it just go back to the war zone, enjoy" being super cool with it. And that's why all flyers or invitations that are associated with hot-button issues should be separate from school: It isn't one-size-fits-all, and it's a completely personal decision. (Though note: A little tolerance of people's differences never killed anybody.)

The purpose of schools should be to educate and protect, and beyond that, not much. I would be seriously taken aback if my daughter ever returned from school with a flyer for an event that was being held by the NRA, or an invitation to a rally for a specific candidate during an election (even if it was "my" choice). As her parent, I feel like it's my responsibility to introduce such things to her. (Not my responsibility to tell her how to think.)

Bottom line: An Easter egg hunt isn't going to kill anyone, but the fact is, it is a religious event -- at a church -- being advertised in a school. And that's not cool. If that's what you choose to believe, no harm, no foul, right? But if it's not, it's an issue. If churches or mosques or temples want to advertise events they're holding, they should do it elsewhere. When parents send their kids to school, they shouldn't have to worry about them encountering these things.

Do you think "controversial" flyers, etc., should be allowed in school?

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I will say first that people get all up in arms about what "controversial" is.

I used to be a recruiter for girl scouts.  We went into the schools one day at lunch, handing out wristbands and flyers for an informational meeting.  Two days later, I get a call from the city attorney, that the children are a "captive audience" and that someone took offense at the girl scout flyer since it promoted "independence" in girls - which was against their religion (they were Christian).

If you don't like it - geez, throw it away.  I'm an athiest, we would get stuff from churches, youth organizations, all sorts of things.  Most ALL of the papers that came from the school got thrown away - no big deal.

berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Every once in a while my kids bring home a flyer for something like that "Easter pancakes at the church" or "church is sponsoring roller skating at the school gym" blah blah blah. Even as an atheist, I couldn't give a crap less. We live in a tiny town, with like six churches and ten bars lol, (population 5,000) so maybe that's why no one has complained. But I'm sure if we had a "mosque flyer", hell would be unleashed. There'd be a shitstorm. At the present time, the closest mosque is about 45 minutes away, maybe an hour.

My point is, in my tiny town, Christianity is accepted as just another thing, it's just something you see on every corner, you hear the bells every 15 minutes, they hold dinners, closets, breakfasts, raffles, etc. that's how we roll. If a flyer gets in your kids bookbag, it's because it was approved by the school as non-propaganda of religious terms and is just a way to invite kids and family to an event
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM
4 moms liked this
First, I'm not buying this. I seriously doubt his son made a comment about church and school being separate.

Second, I'm pretty sure Dad had the real issue

Third, it was an invitation. No one is demanding they go to church

Fourth, send your kids to private school! My kids attended public school and we often get flyers for events hosted at local churches

Fifth, everyone is so damn sensitive

Sixth...I got nothing.
imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM

People need to calm down.

If my child ever said to me what this child supposedly said to their dad I would have a nice long conversation about adversity, and living with other peoples beliefs and choices. Then I would remind them that just because you get a flyer doesn't mean you have to attend and they are welcome to throw it away.

I don't care what flyers my kids get at school. 

Goobieville
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous: First, I'm not buying this. I seriously doubt his son made a comment about church and school being separate.

Fourth, send your kids to private school! My kids attended public school and we often get flyers for events hosted at local churches

Sixth...I got nothing.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM
This is silly, just throw it away if you don't want to go.
mich2.0
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Agreed! People need to quit taking everything personally and finding everything offensive.

Quoting Anonymous: First, I'm not buying this. I seriously doubt his son made a comment about church and school being separate.

Sixth...I got nothing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM
On the one hand, I think that it isn't a big deal, throw it away.

On the other,the dad has a point, what if it was for an event at a mosque? What if it were for an event sponsored by a local pagan group? What if it were an event sponsored by a local atheist organization? What if it were from a local coven?

I would prefer it if they did not pass the flyers out to all kids, but maybe have a shelf or rack with them for the kids to go to on their own.
Meissilly
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM

You have to be kidding ??!?!?!    I would haveto  find out who the little girl is and have her over  often .. Thats the  type of girl that needs girl scouts  ...  AUGHHHH 

Quoting Not_A_Native:

I will say first that people get all up in arms about what "controversial" is.

I used to be a recruiter for girl scouts.  We went into the schools one day at lunch, handing out wristbands and flyers for an informational meeting.  Two days later, I get a call from the city attorney, that the children are a "captive audience" and that someone took offense at the girl scout flyer since it promoted "independence" in girls - which was against their religion (they were Christian).

If you don't like it - geez, throw it away.  I'm an athiest, we would get stuff from churches, youth organizations, all sorts of things.  Most ALL of the papers that came from the school got thrown away - no big deal.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM

We get fliers for Easter Egg hunts at the local church every year from our child's school.

I don't see the big deal.

Our kids know that Bible stories are just fairy tales like Jack and the Beanstalk.

I don't take them to hear the Bible Story afterwards because I don't think brutal murder stories are appropriate for children.. but we do participate in the Egg Hunt part sometimes when they do it outdoors :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)