Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SIL is divorcing my brother over a DUI :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 505 Replies
1 mom liked this
He got a DUI on Sunday night. He blew .13 after a work dinner, but he swears he felt fine to drive. She didn't bail him out and told him not to show his face at their house. He stayed here after I got him and we didn't go until yesterday, where we found all of his stuff on the porch, ruined from sitting outside in the rain for two days. She had changed the locks and wouldn't answer the door. Today she emailed him to expect divorce papers soon.

His kids are 17 and 15 and also won't answer the phone. The 17yo sent him a text calling him a "fucking drunk" that should "rot in hell". He seriously has not stopped crying since yesterday, and I'm worried to leave him alone.

I never liked my SIL but this takes the cake. How do you throw away your marriage like this? This is my brothers second DUI after he got 1 at 18 (he's 40 now) and he's worried about jail time and about losing his job because he can't drive there and it requires travel to countries that may not let him in with a DUI on his record.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM
48 moms liked this

nope, I would think about doing the same thing

I have ZERO tolerance for supidity that put lives at risk and could ruin my family financially

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM
13 moms liked this

Don't drink and drive? I have zero respect or sympathy for anyone who does. Lives are lost over people like him. Sorry if that is harsh.

End a marriage over it? Depends if he was a drunk at home all the time. You do not know their personal lives.

BCauseImAwesome
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM
10 moms liked this

Either your SIL is psycho or there is more to the story. I have no words of wisdom but heres a bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM
I could never throw away my marriage of have my kids hate their father over something like this.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

nope, I would think about doing the same thing

I have ZERO tolerance for supidity that put lives at risk and could ruin my family financially

DW030714
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM
4 moms liked this

This might not be the first instance. This could be 'the straw that broke the camel's back' for her and her family. I see nothing wrong if you want to help him, as he could use it now.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM
5 moms liked this

Yes... don't drink and drive.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM
7 moms liked this
This. I would think there was more going on that OP doesn't know about & this was probably just the last straw.

Quoting BCauseImAwesome:

Either your SIL is psycho or there is more to the story. I have no words of wisdom but heres a bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM
4 moms liked this

I would do the same thing, especially with driving-age kids at home. If she just looks the other way, what does that teach the kids? 

Anonymous
I would think of doing the same thing.
Anonymous
10 moms liked this
Sounds like there is more to the story like he is a alcoholic and the dui was the last straw
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)