Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Video Games and kids - Do you control what your kids are playing?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM
  • 36 Replies

Ds is 6 and is an avid little gamer (hes actually really good at games)- Dh and I are big players too (Playstation all the way!)

For those parents that allow thier kids to play.. do you put restrictions on the types of games they are allowed to play?

In the beginning, I tried. Allowing only kid appropriate games like disney or cartoon-y type games. This idea was lost when ds was only 3... he wanted to play the games that daddy was playing - and me baing a working mom and dad being a sahd .. who is the softee parent, i lost my voice in this opinion very quickly.

daddy and ds were playing the army games i didnt like, and the arkham series - the one game that i was able to forbid for a few years was Grand theft auto.. but thanks to dh cousin earlier this year, i finally lost that battle.

Now, i have come to learn not to care. As long as i know that ds is taught about video games, and how to play responsible - im beginning to see that we have had no issues -I do regret getting the deadpool game .. it is rather raunchy, but aside from the language, which ds is accustomed to hearing bad language and has been taught not to repeat adult language (we have always been against censoring our language in front of ds.. we have taught him to know better than to repeat), the game is just a regular hack and slash game.

DS favorites are:

Army of 2 (series)

Ratchet and Clank (series)

Last of Us

Deadpool

Spiderman

Batman (Arkham series)

God of War (series) - EDIT: DH does make ds wait outside the room they are playing in when the parts where you have to have sex with the characters .. I hate these parts and ds is not allowed to play or even see them.

to name a few

What are your views/rules on games and kids- and yes i am asking for opinions on the subject, please no deliberate bashing of people or parenting styles - keep it civil people.

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM

BUMP!

danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

My kids are 8 and 6.

We love video games. But they are only allowed to play age appropraite games.

lakens_mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Pretty much all my kids want to play are Mario games or Minecraft. I have no issues with either.

I actually encouraged Minecraft. It allows their imagination to flow and I love seeing what they come up with!

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM

yes, we absolutely limit it, just like we do TV and movies

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

At 14&12 the boys play whatever they want. Right now they ask daily to play skyrim on Dh ps3. And tbh I have no idea what games they have on their tablets or their psp' s. I would know if I looked. 

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

If it was up to me, they would play nothing but the Atari.  Yes, I control the games they play and amount of time spent playing (on computer or game systems).  Computer games are probably 1-3hrs a week, gaming system depends on the weather (if it's nice out, get your butt outside).

DH is a little more free with what he lets them play and how long.  But he does have limits in regards to violence. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Not really. They are pretty much allowed to play anything they want. Unless it advocates racism, crude nudity or sexual references, or glorified drug use, but my son didn't start playing video games until much later than 6. I wouldn't have allowed the games I do now at 6. My daughter only plays princess games or learning games.

Clishmaclaver
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM

We have this issue. My son is quite smart and an avid gamer, and the games for his age are just not challenging enough. He likes Call of Duty, Bioshock, etc. He likes RPG games and first person shooter ones. I HATE it with a passion and is really the only thing my husband and I argue about in regards to child rearing. I do forbid games with sexual content and bad language (such as GTA 5), otherwise we don't really care. Right now my son is into Minecraft (thank goodness) and Star Wars Old Republic (i think that's what it's called). He plays online with his dad and sister and they quest together. 

kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM
The only game my boys aren't allowed to play or have played around them, is Grand Theft Auto. The rest are a go. The favorites around here are Skylanders, CoD BO 2, and any of the Halo games.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM
DS is 6 he plays Minecraft, Disney Infinity games, a Sims like game based on Jurassic Park (he's dinosaur crazy), Titanfall and a Star Trek type game that DH plays with him.

I'm not a gamer st all, but DH is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN