Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nutrition in schools

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

The problem I have with the school teaching nutrition is that they only teach one opinion. Usually, low fat. I happen to not believe in a low fat diet. We eat a higher fat, lower carb diet in my house. And what about vegetarians? Why not teach a variety of diets and how to follow them?

then, if a child is interested in being a vegetarian, they can do it it a healthy manner. Same for low carb, learn that it does not mean you eat bacon all day, lol.

kids learn about all the religions in school, why not also teach all the major diet plans?

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Good point. I am diabetic, low fat items tend to substitute fat for carbs. 99% of the time the low fat version has a higher carb content. Since my kids have an increased risk of diabetes I want them to learn to eat carb smart not low fat.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Low fat foods tend to be unhealthier anyway because they have to replace all that fat with something.

KikiKia
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I agree.  I think nutrition in this country is very misguided in the first place.  Don't get me started... :)

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Good point.  My kids' school (private) encourages healthy options like organic (though not mandatory) and non-processed foods.  Parents take turns bringing in a snack for the week and they have recommended items for them to bring, as well as a guideline for what they can bring in their lunches.  I like it because it gives me a good excuse to my kids (and mostly to my dh) on why they can't bring sugary treats or junk food for lunch.  They can have the junk as a treat at home, but not a part of their regular meals. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM
There's nothing stopping you from teaching other options yourself.
suzanneyea
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM

And how about teaching things like gmos and the hormones in milk and meat these days....

KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I was a vegetarian in high school. I had to bring everything myself because they had absolutely no options. Even their salads all had chicken in them.

I guess the only thing that matters right now as far as school and nutrition is "cheap" and "healthy for most"

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I have a child who has life threatening allergies to wheat, rye, barley and egg.  He would get frustrated that the right answer was always whole wheat toast and eggs are considered a healthy breakfast. 

I couldn't convince my other son to color the peanut butter because he is allergic.  Ehhh.

I think education begins at home.  Schools teach one thing but parents have a right to their input as well.  Thank goodness for homeschooling. 

JoanahLee
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Im all for schools making healthy choices... apples instead of cookies for snacks, allowing kids to keep water bottles at their desks while banning soda, but sometimes I wonder how they have time to teach any of the basic stuff like math and reading with all the extra shit they try to pack in.  I can teach my kid about healthy food at home, algebra on the other hand is the schools job lol

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I bet they don't know any better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN