Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I suck at gardening...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this
Lol. It's really embarrassing because my brother is a scientist with a doctorate in horticulture and has made discoveries in his field. I have a black thumb, not a green one.

I'm going to build a raised bed garden. Just a small one. I've tried to just use out soil but it's very poor and sandy. Maybe I'll have better luck this way. I bought some ever bearing strawberry plants and some asparagus crowns. One bed will be for those and one bed for some tomatoes and other veggies.
Anyone else going to try a garden this year?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM
5 moms liked this
Ive killed a CACTUS.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM
I'm clueless when it comes to gardening. That was the only good thing about my ex-MIL lol.
KikiKia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I would love to have a garden when we get a house. 

I too have a black thumb. I am jealous of people like our brother who are so good at those things.

My Mom was great at grwoing plants too.

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM
I spent a lot of time and money to kill my garden last year. This year we're planting wild flowers lol
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Me too, several times lol

Quoting Danesmommy1: Ive killed a CACTUS.
JleeB
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Yes!! My husband and I love to garden. We lived in an apartment and made a garden on our patio. lol this year we live in a house with built in garden boxes. We are excited and will collect rain water for it.
AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM

We are going to start our first family garden this year too.  We are doing the container planting.  My thumb is also black but my husband seems to do well with plants.  :) 

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Yep. I'm attempting one this year. We have a small yard so I've been doing a lot of research to trying getting the most results out of a small space :) Best of luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM
I think if be better at it if the soil wasn't so awful and if I had more time. I've got 5 small kids and whenever I'm out they need constant supervision so I have to go out with dh or they have to stay in with dh. He works a lot so that's hard to do. I just want some small beds so I can take just a few minutes to yank weeds and water.

Quoting HIJKLM: I spent a lot of time and money to kill my garden last year. This year we're planting wild flowers lol
4Dragons
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I'm going to take a stab at it. I'm also horrible with plants. I can't keep houseplants alive to save my life (or theirs, I guess).. I did once successfully grow carrots in the yard... but really I did nothing but put the seeds in the ground. I gave up when stuff started growing because I couldn't tell what was a weed and what was a carrot (or any of the others I tried growing, but only the carrots survived).

I'm also going to try raised beds, and I'm starting my plants indoors this time so I know what they look like and exactly where they are planted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)