Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

House MD (possible trigger)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
Houses' friend Wilson looks incredibly like the man who spent years raping me and I cringe every time I see him. I feel filled with rage but I refuse to stop watching the show which I enjoy. Like he can't have that too. How crazy am I?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Pretty fucking crazy.

I doubt you're filled with rage everytime you see him on the show if you continue to watch it. LOL

Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:36 PM

You experienced a traumatic event and now seeing a man who looks similar to the monster who caused you so much pain, triggers rage in you. But you don't want to stop watching because you don't want to give up one more thing of yourself to that evil fucker. Doesn't sound crazy to me.

KREX0914
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:36 PM

If that is true, I would not be able to watch the show. I would have a panic attack every episode.

And I LOVE House. I'm watching it as I speak (or type). Did you know it's available for streaming on Netflix now? Great timing, too, because most of my House DVDs are all scratched up from years of use.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM
I don't believe you.

I understand everyone deals in a different way. However, the rape victims I've come across can't even sit still if someone who even sorta looks like their attacker is around.

I had a professor corner me and kiss me. I switched universities! My last semester, I had another professor who looked remarkably similar. I needed those credits to graduate, but I refused to be anywhere near him. He probably thought I was a total bitch! It wasn't his fault that he reminded me of my former prof. But I couldn't shake it.

And that was all bc of a kiss! I couldn't imagine had I been attacked like you're suggesting you have.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Or I'm well enough adgusted to differentiate between reality and a TV show. He is in mow way a danger to me and doesn't play a threatening character . You can react differently.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't believe you.

I understand everyone deals in a different way. However, the rape victims I've come across can't even sit still if someone who even sorta looks like their attacker is around.

I had a professor corner me and kiss me. I switched universities! My last semester, I had another professor who looked remarkably similar. I needed those credits to graduate, but I refused to be anywhere near him. He probably thought I was a total bitch! It wasn't his fault that he reminded me of my former prof. But I couldn't shake it.

And that was all bc of a kiss! I couldn't imagine had I been attacked like you're suggesting you have.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Thank you for getting it

Quoting Mamabear010:

You experienced a traumatic event and now seeing a man who looks similar to the monster who caused you so much pain, triggers rage in you. But you don't want to stop watching because you don't want to give up one more thing of yourself to that evil fucker. Doesn't sound crazy to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:42 PM
That's how I'm watching it. I'm on bed rest and running out of show and movie options fast.

Quoting KREX0914:

If that is true, I would not be able to watch the show. I would have a panic attack every episode.And I LOVE House. I'm watching it as I speak (or type). Did you know it's available for streaming on Netflix now? Great timing, too, because most of my House DVDs are all scratched up from years of use.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I think that is pretty normal, actually.  Have you sought therapy for it? I have been in therapy for years, and while it has gotten better, I still do not trust people with certain styles, or that use certain scents. And that is an improvement. I used to get physically ill whenever I smelled the shaving creme and hair gell my father used.

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

That's horrible.  I don't like that character on the show either.  I remember the actor from Dead Poets Society and I liked him in that (back when I was in high school), but I can't stand his stupid face in House.  I'm sorry you went through that, and that you now have that trigger. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM
I am and I'm much better/calmer now.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I think that is pretty normal, actually.  Have you sought therapy for it? I have been in therapy for years, and while it has gotten better, I still do not trust people with certain styles, or that use certain scents. And that is an improvement. I used to get physically ill whenever I smelled the shaving creme and hair gell my father used.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)